Matthew 25:46

Arguments/positions against Evangelical Universalism.

Re: Matthew 25:46

Postby Origen; » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:19 am

Paidion wrote:In "The Wars of the Jews," Josephus indicates that Jonathan was imprisoned "αιωνιος." Does that mean that Jonathan's imprisonment lasted for an age?
Actually it lasted for three years.

According to TDNT, ed Kittel, author Sasse, Vol 1, p.168, on AIDIOS, Sasse remarks concerning Jude 6 "in everlasting chains" & "Cf. for this expression Jos.Bell.,6,434...of the lifelong imprisonment of John...", with "lifelong" being the Greek word aionios. This interpretation seems similar to that in the OT of a slave being his masters for olam, i.e. for life.
Scholars Corner:
http://www.tentmaker.org/ScholarsCorner.html

Minimal Statement of Faith for Evangelical Universalists:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=57
Origen;

Postby maintenanceman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:23 am

DaveB wrote:Chad - I"m not trying to teach you anything - just pointing to an interesting thread. :D

But you did teach me something: scroll man scroll :lol:

You quoted in your part 2:
4. "The Christian dispensation is a continuation of the Jewish, the completion of a vast scheme of providence, requiring great extent of view in the reader. Still more, the Bible treats of subjects on which we receive ideas from other sources besides itself; such subjects as the nature, passions, relations, and duties of man; and it expects us to restrain and modify its language by the known truths, which observation and experience furnish on these topics."

I like that very much. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving :D
maintenanceman

Postby DaveB » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 am

I did, thank you - food/fellowship was great -it was however not quiet! :lol:

I liked that quote as well; I think it says quite a lot about our approach to the Bible.
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.
DaveB

Previous

Return to Discussion Negative