The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Do Any Of The Apocryphal Books Promote Universalism?

Title says it all!

In case anyone is wondering, here is a list of Apocryphal Books:

sacred-texts.com/bib/apo/index.htm

This discussion touches upon the subject:

“where did first century Jews learn about eternal punishment?”

BTW, it seems Father Lawrence (EO faith) refused to post on his blog my most recent post to him here:

If you mean the intertestamental books, I’m not sure. My general impression is no, but I would have said that for the Bible overall 20 years ago. :wink: So take that with a grain of salt.

Some of the more-or-less ‘orthodox’ post-canonical books, sometimes also known as apocryphals, promote universal salvation.

Which ones?

What Protestants have labelled “The Apocrypha”(hidden), the Catholic Church calls “The Deuterocanonical writings”. They are:

1 Esdras, 2 Esdras, Tobit, Judith, extra Esther, Wisdom of Solomon, Ecclesiasticus, Baruch, Letter of Jeremiah, Esdras, 2 Esdras, Tobit, Prayer of Azariah, Susanna, Bel and the Dragon, Prayer of Manasseh, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees.

In my reading of them, I have never encountered Universalistic teachings. (That doesn’t imply that there are no such teachings among them).

However, the Christian writer Origen (A.D. 185-254) definitely taught the reconciliation of all things to God. (Colossians 1:20)