The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Do it for you

Well, sometimes we need to just be reminded by the common folk what Jesus’ message was…

Just listen to the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La0IJPt0t4Q

Love…

Well done.

I agree if this is referring to what Christ did in glorifying the Father on the cross. Jesus didn’t seek His own glory but gave the Father the glory. In union with Christ we are to do likewise. Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Everything I do I do for you indeed. We need to remember that grace is unmerited favor and therefore at bottom is based on God’s worth and glory. Grace empowers us to enjoy making much of God. When we do this He rejoices over us with loud singing. The paradox is that the more I glorify God the more glorious I become. The glory of the creature is humility. Only God is intrinsically glorious.

Satan wanted to exalt himself and be like God is this respect. It leads to megalomania when taken far enough. There are ways we are like God and ways we are not. We cannot be like God in everyway. We are to follow in the footsteps of Christ in emptying ourselves so that He can fill us with holy love and cloth us in His humility.

It can be painful to deflate the ego for humankind’s natural tendency is to want to be at the center. But after awhile when God is the center we start to feel better. As Andrew Murray states:

I’m quite happy walking around the earth being powerless. God is all powerful and I depend on Him. It’s when we humble ourselves an strip away the ego (sinful self) that God’s grace infuses our soul. We put on the new self:

As the Catholic monk Thomas A. Kempis rightly points out:

Protestant Richard Crenshaw:

Here are the lyrics to the song: :slight_smile:

Everything I do I do it for you:

Look into my eyes,
You will see
What you mean to me
Search your heart,
Search your soul
And when you find me there, you’ll search no more

Don’t tell me it’s not worth tryin’ for
You can’t tell me it’s not worth dyin’ for
You know it’s true
Everything I do,
I do it for you

Look into your heart,
You will find
There’s nothin’ there to hide
Take me as I am,
Take my life
I would give it all, I would sacrifice

Don’t tell me it’s not worth fightin’ for
I can’t help it, there’s nothin’ I want more
You know it’s true
Everything I do,
I do it for you

There’s no love
Like your love
And no other
Could give more love
There’s nowhere
Unless you’re there
All the time,
All the way, yeah

Look into your heart, baby

Oh your can’t tell me it’s not worth tryin’ for
I can’t help it there’s nothin’ I want more
Yeah, I would fight for you,
I lie for you
Walk the wire for you, yeah, I’d die for you

You know it’s true
Everything I do,
Oh
I do it for you

Everything I do, darling
And we’ll see it through
Oh we’ll see it through
Oh yeah

Yeah!
Look into your heart
You can’t tell me it ain’t worth dying for
Oh yeah

I’ll be there, yeah
I’ll walk the wire for you
I will die for you

Oh yeah

I would die for you

I’m going all the way, all they way, yeah

Cool

If it helps you to imagine that the singer represents Christ and what He did for you, I suppose it’s all right. But let’s get real; the singer is singing about what he’ll do for his lady friend—if she’ll have him. He sings to her, “Look into your heart, Baby.”

Let Me Shatter You

What is Your secret?
I asked my Lord
For my heart is small
Pregnant with splendor
Giving birth in silence
My Lord whispered intimately
That is it in the silence
It is there we can
Hear the music dancing
It will lure you to
The shores of madness
Before you go away humbled
Let me shatter you
So that you can fall in love

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15578379_348812035498184_7276661649067033385_n.jpg?oh=b98f2325e31dffa18a443359f93f5561&oe=58B8B256

I would say that the spirit of Christ is exactly shown through our engagement with our fellow neighbors. Be it our loved ones or potential loved ones… In this song, (and by the way he is I believe a Canadian!!) here is love , sacrifice, willingness to die for another, I’m not quite sure what you are getting at, as you seem to be a bit of a scrooge. Shame on you.

Does not matter weather it is a lady friend or humanity.

Love is important. I feel sorry for you. :blush:

The very idea that someone would die for another is the very message of Christ.

Not sure how someone would not get that :exclamation: :open_mouth:

Yes but Christ died for us while we were sinners. Moreover we have died with Him and been buried. The death of Christ isn’t a testimony to our great worth but to His great worth in giving us grace. He gives the grace and He gets the glory. As we become humble and empty our self the wind of His mercy blows though. We become nothing so that He may be all in all. He is everything I am nothing in and of myself. The more I glorify Him like Jesus did the more humble and glorious I become. The glory of the creature is in humility. When speaking of the intrinsic worth of man the Bible says:

You are of more value than many sparrows ~~ Luke 12:7

Jesus says 2 sparrows are sold for 2 cents. Man is said to be of more value than many sparrows. This means that if many sparrows are 500 sparrows you are worth about $2.50. If it’s 1000 sparrows your worth exceeds $5.00. The point isn’t man’s great intrinsic worth but God’s providential care. If it’s given to sparrows then it’s given to man who is worth more than many sparrows. In speaking of sinful man Paul tells us in Romans:

There is no one who understands; no one who seeks God. All have turned away; they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one. ~~ Romans 3:12

We empty ourselves before God and become nothing. As an empty vessel we are filled with agape. Agape is humility. Humility is the Beauty of holiness. Here’s how the Sufi mystic and poet Rumi describes it. Watch all the way to the end where he says, “If you only knew what bliss I find in being nothing”. He means in and of himself he is nothing. He has become an empty vessel. In losing himself he finds himself. When we lose ourselves we come into union with Christ. Humility is union with Christ where ego is crucified and deflated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj2oHf5aZVM

Paidion is right. But many secular songs, can inspire a Christian message. Like this one :exclamation: :smiley:

or

youtube.com/watch?v=RV-Z1YwaOiw

And there are secular songs, that convey the opposite message. Like this one: :laughing:

or

youtube.com/watch?v=b9SKxL9CnW0

Jesus is agape. When we fall in love with Jesus we are in love with love. We are the bride of Christ in union with Him. The union is drinking the wine of love and being filled with humble agape.

I Am In Love With Love

I am in love with love
love is in love with me
my body fell in love
with my soul
and my soul fell in love
with me
we take turns in loving
we take turns in being loved

Rumi

No one can fall in love if he is even partially satisfied with what he has or who he is. The experience of falling in love originates in an extreme depression, an inability to find something that has value in everyday life. The “symptom” of the predisposition to fall in love is not the conscious desire to do so, the intense desire to enrich our lives; it is the profound sense of being worthless and of having nothing that is valuable and the shame of not having it…For this reason, falling in love occurs more frequently among young people, since they are profoundly uncertain, unsure of their worth, and often ashamed of themselves. ~~ Francesco Alberoni

Furthermore, although persons should consider their own poverty and worthlessness, they should not be grieved or depressed, but rather they should feel happy and consoled; for You daily choose the humble and those who are despised by the world to be Your special friends and servants.~~Thomas A. Kempis in “The Imitation Of Christ”