The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Wow, so what do you really believe? ...Statement of Faith

The Orthodox faith is nothing if not the faith of Peter.

The problem is those pesky heretics. For two thousand years they have incessantly distorted the faith. Perhaps a good name for heresy in general would be Legion, since it seems they have countless ways of distorting things. They take good old terms, empty them of Orthodoxy, and fill them up with heresy and proclaim, “Hey, we believe in _______ too!”

Consequently, the Orthodox Church has had to ever more rigorously define its terms. This was the main task of the Nine Ecumenical Councils (the first held in A. D. 325 and the ninth in A. D. 1341-51).

Let me give a hypothetical example. Suppose someone in the circle of assemblies you attend, Paidion, legally changed his name to “Jesus” and started claiming that he was Jesus of Nazareth returned to planet Earth from outer space. Further suppose that he taught that all of the miracles recounted in the Bible were accomplished by highly advanced nanotechnology beamed down from the starship that was orbiting the earth, commanded by the astronaut named Yahweh. Said astronaut came down to earth in a small space ship, met a fetching young Jewish girl named Mary, impregnated her the typical way, then returned to his starship. Jesus, of course, was resuscitated by Yahweh’s nanotechnology and beamed up to the mother ship accompanied by some of its crew. Let us further suppose that this Jesus started getting a lot of followers in your circle of assemblies and baptized them “in the name of Jesus Christ”. Of course, when he says Jesus Christ, he means himself: Jesus Christ Spaceman, biological son of Captain Yahweh of the Federation Starship Celestial 3.

I would imagine your circle of assemblies would have to address this issue. They’d have to make sure that those baptized were NOT being baptized in the name of our spaceman Jesus, but in the name of the biblical Jesus. Perhaps, “You are baptized in the name of the biblical Jesus Christ.” Then some of the spaceman’s followers would say, “Peter said to baptize in the name of Jesus Christ. Full stop. Are you saying that Peter was wrong?”

In short, like the heretics before him, Spaceman Jesus would take good old terminology and fill it full of his nonsense. (And if you think Spaceman Jesus would be stranger than any historical heretics, then I would recommend reading about the 2nd-century Gnostics. Those guys were supremely weird. Ol’ Spaceman Jesus would be kind of tame compared to some of them. Or consider the numbskull(s) implied in I Corinthians 12:3 who thought that the Holy Spirit inspired them to curse Jesus. My goodness.)

How did we go from a 24 hour day to Trinitarian baptism to Mt Everest and NT Wright. Gotta love the Forum. :laughing: :laughing:

But I like the Fonz!!

Me thinks that some of my Holy Fool theology and P-Zombie philosophy, is rubbing off on you :exclamation: :laughing:

Amen Brother :laughing:

Wright said: “The death and resurrection of Jesus constitutes Abrahams family as a world wide forgiven family.”

Good stuff :exclamation: :smiley:

I don’t doubt that sexual sins also contributed. I further suspect that these sexual sins resulted in no or far fewer births, which would also lead mankind towards extinction: Hyper-violence and non-procreative sexuality would drive mankind towards the brink of non-existence. The Flood, then, was God’s means of saving mankind from itself.

Possible, but without more Biblical data that may conclude more than is possible with the evidence given. Seems like you are wrestling to vindicate God’s motives in the flood by your conclusion. However, I am convinced that God is still both righteous and loving in the flood even if humanity was not on an explicit course for extinction.

What actually led me to the conclusion that pre-Flood mankind was on a path to extinction (which, I admit, is only a theory of mine that is quite possibly incorrect) was the following line of thought: “Wow. Look at some of the unspeakable wickedness in history. Consider the intricate and systematized tortures and massacres of people in the 20th century, yet God did not wipe us all out for that. Pre-Flood mankind, to merit getting wiped-out, must have been even worse than any of the monsters that we read about in history. Think of the worst, most grotesque crimes of the Soviets, or of the Nazis, or of serial killers, or etc. These crimes must pale compared to those committed by pre-Flood mankind. Pre-Flood mankind must have been so unrelentingly and thoroughly wicked that we literally can’t even conceive of the depths of sin and depravity that they reached.”

And, of course, if people are bad enough, more people will be murdered than are born, resulting in eventual human extinction. It’s more a math/probability thing than anything else.

That statement is not necessarily true. Could be, but not necessarily.

God promised to never flood the world again, but mankind could not keep a promise to never be as bad again. The history of redemption and grace shows a progression and stages. God purposefully employed methods to demonstrate their failure when compared with the cross. For example the flood and the Old Covenant did not change one heart, but the New Covenant did. So now we have a more thorough understanding of the depth of our sin problem and better yet a better understanding of the God’s grace at the cross.

I agree.

I think it is the most natural reading of the Flood account, but it is not the only possible one. Perhaps God sent the Flood against people who were less wicked than others, and if so He clearly had His reasons. I think this is unlikely, though. When I first read the book of Genesis at age 10, it seemed to me that the text was presenting a pre-Flood mankind far more wicked than at any other time or place in history.

I find it interesting that only once in the 40,000+ year history of mankind has God virtually destroyed all of mankind. That makes me think that era was unique. I suspect that if any man with even a modicum of decency were to travel back in time and walk unseen amongst mankind in the years immediately before the Flood, he would wish nothing more than for them to be eradicated–for goodness’ and mercy’s sake. While it is conceivable to imagine loving mothers trying vainly to hold their crying babies up above the rising waters of the Flood, I think the natural reading of the story would be one of vile, drowning females who aborted half of their offspring and sacrificed the other half on pagan altars.

Very nicely stated jeff.

Here is a recent model of Noah’s ark built exactly according to the specifications given in Genesis.
I regret that the picture is cut off at the right-hand end, but when you compare the size shown with the people standing around it, you can get an idea of the immensity of the ark. Obviously it could hold quite a few animals. It probably held the original genus of each species. For example, I’m sure that all dogs from the Chihuahua to the St. Bernard, all descended from a single pair of dogs that contained all the genetic material necessary to produce the many variations of the species.

Very cool. Could you provide the link to the site?

Here is one that floats arkofnoah.org and here is one that does not float arkencounter.com.

That ark is incredible.

Eaglesway, I cannot find the site with that particular photo. However, I found a site concerning it with a video, that you might enjoy:

aol.com/article/2016/07/06/noah-s-ark-built-to-biblical-specifications-opens-in-kentucky/21425182/

Hmmm… I tried clicking on my own link, and instead of being able to access the video at the site, it now lets me access a gallery of 16 photos.

Ahhh… I think I found the site. And it’s not just a picture. Click on it and you’ll see a video.

abc13.com/society/massive-full-scale-version-of-noahs-ark-comes-to-life-/1416838/

Thanks!

Hi Jeff, I read your opening statement and liked a lot of it. Of course I disagree on some points. But being brothers in Christ, we are allowed to and still be friends, right?

There is no scriptural proof which says Jesus eternally existed as God. Jesus said Himself several times that He has a God in the gospels and Revelation, so He can’t be that God and so He can’t be “God,” in the highest sense of the word i.e. the God who fills heaven and earth. He is allowed to carry the title “God” since He is the subjector of the universe. But God, the supreme subjector will subject all to Christ. He is the perfect image of His God and so is Divine and human at the same time.

The evangel is that God sent His Son into the world to save sinners. It is not about Him sending Himself. God didn’t sacrifice Himself. He sacrificed His only begotten Son. That’s the evangel. Trinitarianism covers up the evangel.

The holy spirit is God’s spirit.

The spirit of truth is not a person any more than “a spirit of slavery” is a person or a “spirit of sonship” is a person. Spirit of truth is truth’s spirit or what one could say is truth’s invisible power.

At least that’s what I think.

Peace

I believe the same Paidion. Someday I hope to visit that ark. Imagine in Noah’s day how people must have been amazed at the enormity of Noah’s ark!