The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Aionios ≠∞ in Jer 18:15; Ps 77:5; Ez 26:20; Pb 22:28; & more

Aionios appears each (LXX) of these, but notice how everlasting, forever, eternal, etc. never does…

Terms for Eternity chapter 2 is an absolute gold mine - I’ll add more as I come across them :mrgreen:

And for any doubters: I got this from my bible program “theWord” for Windows. Using the LXX module. I added the LXX Greek readings to his verses. (My apologies as the forum editor won’t let me bold or underline the words so I use ( ) to show them.)

For Jer 18:15, ESV wrote:But my people have forgotten me; they make offerings to false gods; they made them stumble in their ways, in the ancient roads, and to walk into side roads, not the highway,
Jer 18:15 οτι επελαθοντο μου ο λαος μου εις κενον εθυμιασαν και ασθενησουσιν εν ταις οδοις αυτων σχοινους (αιωνιους) του επιβηναι τριβους ουκ εχοντας οδον εις πορειαν

For Ps 77:5, ESV wrote:I consider the days of old, the years long ago.

Ps 77:5 (76:6) διελογισαμην ημερας αρχαιας και ετη (αιωνια) εμνησθην και εμελετησα

For Eze 26:20, ESV wrote:then I will make you go down with those who go down to the pit, to the people of old, and I will make you to dwell in the world below, among ruins from of old, with those who go down to the pit, so that you will not be inhabited; but I will set beauty in the land of the living.

Ezek 26:20 και καταβιβασω σε προς τους καταβαινοντας εις βοθρον προς λαον (αιωνος) και κατοικιω σε εις βαθη της γης ως ερημον (αιωνιον) μετα καταβαινοντων εις βοθρον οπως μη κατοικηθης μηδε ανασταθης επι γης ζωης

For Proverbs 22:28, ESV wrote:Do not move the ancient landmark that your fathers have set.

Prov 22:28 μη μεταιρε ορια (αιωνια) α εθεντο οι πατερες σου

For Proverbs 23:10, ESV wrote:Do not move an ancient landmark or enter the fields of the fatherless

Prov 23:10 μη μεταθης ορια (αιωνια) εις δε κτημα ορφανων μη εισελθης

For Eze 36:2, ESV wrote:Thus says the Lord GOD: Because the enemy said of you, ‘Aha!’ and, ‘The ancient heights have become our possession,’
Ezek 36:2 ταδε λεγει κυριος κυριος ανθ ων ειπεν ο εχθρος εφ υμας ευγε ερημα (αιωνια) εις κατασχεσιν ημιν εγενηθη

For Ps 76:4, ESV wrote:Glorious are you, more majestic than the mountains of prey.

Ps 76:4 (75:5) φωτιζεις συ θαυμαστως απο ορεων (αιωνιων)

So I am seeing it translated as ancient and old with the above verses… but not so sure about Psalms 76:4.

Wait! I found where it MUST mean “eternal”!

Just kidding.

Ok, now to be fair… we all know that some believe in only the KJV and that could never steer us wrong. Let us confer with God’s only “inspired” translation, shall we? (Sorry for the snarkiness, I am in a mood today.)

Jer: 18:15 Because my people hath forgotten me, they have burned incense to vanity, and they have caused them to stumble in their ways [from] the ancient paths, to walk in paths, [in] a way not cast up;

Psalm 77:5 I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times.

Ezekiel 26:20 When I shall bring thee down with them that descend into the pit, with the people of old time, and shall set thee in the low parts of the earth, in places desolate of old, with them that go down to the pit, that thou be not inhabited; and I shall set glory in the land of the living;

Proverbs 22:28 Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set.

Proverbs 23:10 Remove not the old landmark; and enter not into the fields of the fatherless:

Ezekiel 36:2 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because the enemy hath said against you, Aha, even the ancient high places are ours in possession:

Psalms 76:4 Thou [art] more glorious [and] excellent than the mountains of prey. (Yeah… still not sure about that one either.)

Oh and yeah, KJV (I believe) didn’t use the LXX, it used the Hebrew. Well the word used above for old and ancient is Olam (H5769) and Qedem (H6924).
Does that mess things up for UR believers? I am pretty sure it doesn’t.

(Again my apologies for my snarkiness, but I was JUST challenged on this issue with someone before I saw this post and the guy just WOULD NOT believe me. Got me in a foul mood, yet I find this thread rather fortuitous. Thank you for this list as it has now silenced him… for now.)

BTW, thank you Alex for the name of the reference. I shall have to certainly pick it up. :smiley:

Neither am I! :confused:

:laughing:

I love the LXX :sunglasses:

Whilst the MT is the same language it’s been processed by the Jews (after they were cut off & when they had motivation to de-Christianise it…)

, Wikipedia"]The MT was primarily copied, edited and distributed by a group of Jews known as the Masoretes between the 7th and 10th centuries CE [AD] …

… the Eastern Orthodox continue to use the Septuagint, as they hold it to be divinely inspired.

Ps 76:6 in the LXX actually corresponds to Ps 77:5 in the Hebrew OT.