The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What books are our members reading? Post updates freely! {g}

Easy to read by bible teacher, Dr. Stephen E. Jones

Lessons From Church History, Volume 1

gods-kingdom-ministries.net/ … -volume-1/

Lessons From Church History, Volumes 2 - 4

gods-kingdom-ministries.net/ … -volume-2/

This is a very beautiful and prophetic book…It is not too long and shows the godly order behind numbers.

The Biblical Meaning of Numbers From One to Forty

gods-kingdom-ministries.net/ … umbers.pdf

I’ve been reading Miraculous Movements - How Hundreds of Thousands of Muslims Are Falling in Love with Jesus

by Jerry Trousdale

amazon.com/Miraculous-Moveme … 141854728X

Whole families and villages and towns are converting from Islam to Christianity. Are the core are some simple Bible studies where just four questions are discussed:

1. What does this passage say to us about humanity?
  2. What does this passage say to us about God?
  3. If this is true, what do I need to do about it?
  4. Who do I know who needs to hear this, too?

If the numbers are true - it is truly remarkable.

Mike

Muslims are a lot more receptive than we think. The media which is controlled by demonic secret societies is always promoting the idea that they are unapproachable fanatics that will hurt us.

But I gave several of them literature in person showing how Jesus saved the world and they were all receptive. Of course, they weren’t in a group and had been in the U.S. some time.

But these local Muslims are the ones you need to reach first because once you do they are the ones with all the language skills to carry Jesus back to the Middle East.

So we should be focusing a lot more effort on evangelizing Muslims within Christian countries.

I said yes Jesus is God to one taxi driver and I think he converted. He almost wrecked the car by dashing into the curb after I told him he had a servant heart like Jesus, that he was made in the image of God and yes that Jesus is God.

Jason Pratt you can google The U.S.in Biblical prophecy for a wonderful article by Steven M. Collins in which he explains how to locate the U.S. and the United Kingdom in the bible.

These are two books every Christian should read. The Book of Jasher and the Book of Wisdom.

I’ve only read parts of each…I was interrupted on both and have yet to finish them but they fill in key biblical details for helping one to understand the bible’s narrative.

For example, what really happened between Ishmael and Isaac.

I am currently reading Strongman’s His Name…What’s His Game? by Latin American Missionary Drs. Jerry and Carol Robeson

So I will know spiritual warfare tactics and have as much as possible committed to memory. They also discuss faith healing.

They have a sequel to this, too and I will read it next.

All of this is in conjunction with the final chapter of Ephesians where believers are told to put on the Armor of God.

Even after putting the Armor on there are best methods for wielding the Sword of the Spirit.

Online greatbiblestudy.com and Deliverance Ministries.org (Everett Cox) and the Demonbuster site have a lot of information on how to spot and handle demons.

But we also need to learn to examine ourselves for heart idols…these are the things we let ourselves get attached to that block or get in the way of a full and fruitful relationship with God…Our society is ridden with materialism and always promoting idols like fame or money or power as desirable objects. It usually leads us to develop an evil eye where we look at and mentally focus on and desire things God says won’t make us satisfied but could block Him in areas of our life.

I should have mentioned Henry Wright’s book in more detail.

It is a primer on faith healing. I even met a Christian chiropractor who does faith healing and refers to this book.

What Wright does is he tries to trace out the spiritual roots of diseases.

He acknowledges not all health issues are spiritual but this book has a lot of information.

It is a faith healers reference guide. Wright has a background in anatomy and I believe he is a type of faith healing pioneer.

Pioneers always catch a lot of flack and Wright catches it from Christians and unbelievers.

I am adding these links in case people want to browse on the topics of spiritual warfare and faith healing.

Christian Healing
christianhealingforum.com

John G. Lake Ministries
jglm.org

Deliverance Ministries with a self ministry
delmin.org/self-ministry/

Andrew Wommack Ministries
awmi.net

Demonbuster for paranormal info
demonbuster.com

greatbiblestudy.com
greatbiblestudy.com

Divine Reversal- Caleb Miller (great book!)

Beauty Will Save the World- Brian Zahnd

Who is God - His character revealed in The Christ by C S Cowles

amazon.com/Who-Is-God-Charac … 0834121476

(Sadly not on Kindle)

This book seeks to reveal the true character of God as seen by reading the Bible through the “lens” of Jesus.

Mike

Hi Jason
Can this thread handle books that we are currently writing or have recently written as well?
I have recently written and published “The Really Good News About God” that has a universalist theme.
I can give more details if this section can accommodate books written.
Blessings, Barry

1 Like

Just finished ‘Minerals for the Genetic Code’ by Charles Walters.

If I wasn’t a Christian, It would be the most ominous book I’ve ever read that was non fiction. Messing with genetics :blush:

‘The Road’ by Cormac McCarthy is the all time downer, but I couldn’t put the book down.

‘Life after Death’ by Elizabeth Kubler Ross (just read a few weeks ago) was absolutely eye opening. If you want to know what may happen to you when you die, check it out.

‘The Language of the Night’ - essays by Ursula K. LeGuin on writing fantasy and SF.

‘The Beauty of the Infinite’ - David Bentley Hart. This is my second re-read of this essential book.

‘Cat’s Eye’ - Margaret Atwood. What an outstanding novel. Full of period color from the 40’s through the 80’s, rich detail and deep psychological insights. Nothing like her SF/Fantasy work - which I also enjoy very much.

And a +1 for ‘The Road’, very good book. For a good dose of nihilism, McCarthy’s ‘Blood Meridian’ is as dark as they come but I could not put it down, even the second time.

Barry, that’s fine I guess.

I took a break from Christian / non-fiction genres, and have been reading a web serial called “Worm”, about a mid-to-late teenaged girl (the series spans some time) living in an alternate Earth where more and more people are developing super-powers. It’s a fairly hard-R work, and I can’t say I was much interested in the teen girl drama at the beginning; but I understood things had to start from there, so I persevered. It’s a deep work, well worth being officially published some day (although due to being already publicly published for free on the internet, the author ‘Wildbow’ will have to self-publish. Also there are a ton of minor but persistent punctuation and capitalization problems; I don’t envy whoever has to do the extensive proof-editing on a series that’s effectively as long as ten of Cry of Justice. :wink: )

Anyone interested in the special sci-fi / fantasy mixture of superhero genres, and who can handle a lot of swearing and violence (no explicit sex scenes that I recall so far, but the topic comes up occasionally, sometimes in thematically horrific ways), could do a lot worse. :sunglasses: Loads and loads of characters, imaginative characterization and use of powers, plenty of tactical and strategic plotting (once the plot gets going).

Thanks Jason.
The book I have written (and read many, many times) is “The Really Good News About God” and is available in various formats and from several online bookstores.
Paperback ISBN 978-0-9942627-3-8 from amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, etc.
Kindle ISBN 978-0-9942627-1-4 from amazon.com.
Epub (for all eReaders except Kindle) ISBN 978-0-9942627-0-7 from smashwords.com.

Snippets from the book’s introduction …
Although there is a large variety of beliefs and practices within the Christian world, there are, quite remarkably, two particular views that seem to be predominantly held (and passionately defended) with which I disagree.

The first is, that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who came to this planet to be the Saviour of the world, will almost totally fail in his mission.
And the second is, that everyone who does not become “a believer in Jesus” in their lifetime on this planet will be sentenced to misery in a place usually called hell – and for eternity.

Put together, it can be said that mainstream Christianity, by and large, promotes a God of conditional love whose attempt to save the world at Calvary was not good enough to overcome Adam’s sin for the vast majority of creation.
Although its leadership might not openly admit it, the institutional church believes that God can’t or won’t save the whole world, even though he originally said he wanted to.

I wish to show that the God of love who created and is in control of our world has a loving purpose for it and has the power and determination to see his purpose accomplished.
It is a most exciting story.

Most sections of mainstream Christianity preach what they call the good news.
But, in many of these, it really is a mixture of good news for a few and very bad news for the majority.
This book will show you that the Bible, read with an open mind and through the twin lenses of God’s love and sovereignty, describes what the good news really is.

The book has a prologue and seven chapters.
◊ Prologue — “The Grand Stage Production” — is an invitation to imagine our world as a theatrical stage production.
◊ Chapter One — “God’s Unconditional, Unfailing Love” — discusses God’s extravagant love as the motivating factor for all that he does.
◊ Chapter Two — “God’s Supreme Sovereignty” — explores God’s sovereignty — his ability to do whatever he decides and to fully achieve his purpose for his creation.
◊ Chapter Three — “God’s Awesome Plan” — describes this purpose, and the plans God has to achieve it.
◊ Chapter Four — “God’s Champion Lifesaver” — examines the role that Jesus Christ, God’s Son, plays in achieving God’s purpose.
◊ Chapter Five — “God’s Merciful Judgement” — investigates judgement and punishment, and shows how God uses these in his plans for restoring the creation to its original position and condition.
◊ Chapter Six — “God – The Perfect Parent” — uses the metaphor of a perfect parent to draw the conclusion that God really has good news for all of us.
◊ Chapter Seven — “Our On‐Stage Role” — discusses how special we are and how we might respond to knowing this really good news about God.

It should be easy reading — not weighed down with theological or religious terminology. But it might not be a super fast read, as some serious thinking mixed with old‐fashioned common sense will be required along the way.

From the back cover …
The Really Good News About God uses everyday language to address some of the deep questions most of us wrestle with at some point in our lives.
Who am I?
Why am I?
What is life?
What is death?
Is there a God? If so, what is God like?
Does life on this planet have any purpose?

It is an easy, refreshing read, written in an informal, conversational style, not weighed down by theological or religious language, and a good place to start exploring these important questions, as the author offers positive, uplifting answers from the Bible that challenge the good news/bad news dualism usually promoted by much of mainstream Christianity.

It would be silly for me to offer a review of the book, but I have had many positive responses, especially from people who have never thought about the theology they have unthinkingly adopted. I have also had some hostile responses. People who have offered these have not been able to find fault with the presentation, but just don’t like the result that Jesus will draw all to Himself eventually.

Blessings, Barry Tattersall

I am reading a book called “No More Christian Nice guy” by Paul Coughlin. It was recommended to me by a friend. So far it has been an outstanding reading. In fact, it will likely cause me to be far more vocal about Universalism in general. The book has nothing to do with Universalism, mind you, but everything to do with getting rid of this Christian beta male passive guy who sits in the pew like a good Christian.

Do you know what I find utterly amusing as I read non-universalists? Their practical advise in this real word is at odds with their God. Their practical advice is very sound… I find it totally crazy how someone can believe torture is wrong, then go on to believe in a God that does it. How can anyone believe in a God that says “Do as I say, no as I do!”? Astonishing. the only conclusion I have is that people have been able to compartmentalize this part of God, or they fear for their own souls. But, if it is the latter isn’t that dishonestly? As if God couldn’t know what you are thinking? I mean, seriously… “No, I don’t think God is cruel for doing that, while secretly hoping God doesn’t know they really do think it is cruel?” Seems like a type of lip service. Something I would expect to fool a dumb god, not the God they believe in.

I think God does say that about some things, at least.

In other words, “It’s not your place to show wrath, but it is mine. You don’t have the right to show vengeance, but I do, and I will repay.”

BTW, I’m currently reading Hope Beyond Hell and Brothers, We Are Not Professionals.

NEW Book;
The All Mankind Bible Commentary, by Ross S MArshall
Christ Saves All, by Dr. George F. Howe
all on Amazon.
:astonished:)

Note: Ross is co-author of the books Ross is currently reading. :wink:

He has a new thread with more information here on the forum: The All Mankind Bible Commentary

I’m currently reading these books and enjoying them:

The Skeletons in God’s Closet: The Mercy of Hell, the Surprise of Judgment, the Hope of Holy War
It IS About Islam: Exposing the Truth About ISIS, Al Qaeda, Iran, and the Caliphate (The Control Series)