The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Satan: Lifting the Veil

Really good article, bro :slight_smile:

I always thought Job was an interesting book, different from a lot of other books in the Bible, and your article was eye-opening and helps me to understand it better. :slight_smile:

Speaking of Job, have you ever seen this Rob Bell video?

youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5dXHBD8jA

It’s the last video in his excellent ( at least I think it’s excellent :wink: )NOOMA series, and it’s a good one :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! It’s really nice to know I have some friends reading the whole series - I put so much work into it, and this is the only thing I get out of that. :smiley:

I have not - I put a little reminder in my calendar to watch that tonight! Thanks!

Part 7 is up, and examines the appearance of Satan as God’s State Prosecutor in a prophetic vision of Zechariah.

Part 8 is now published, and begins the exploration of Satan in the New Testament.

This just gets better and better! :smiley:

Thanks, Geoff.

Thank you so much! I kind of felt the same way as I was researching this topic - it’s absolutely fascinating!

I have published the next section - Part 9: Azazel. This section deals with the ancient rite of Atonement and its connection to Satan.

Part 10 is up, and begins to explore the story of Jesus’ trials in the desert.

Part 11 is up, and explores some of the Jewish history behind the concepts in Jesus’ day of what a messiah would look like.

Fascinating post on Azazel Geoff :smiley: - and I love that quotation from Peter Rollins!

The book was amazing - one of my favorites. Really had me thinking about a lot of things for a long time. And thank you!

I confess I’ve gotten behind on your series, bro, I only made it up to the 4th or 5th post I think. I’ll try to catch up this weekend :slight_smile:

Gasp Well, that’s just unforgiveable.

:wink: :laughing:

I knew as I released these that there would be some who would take it at their own pace, some for whom I wasn’t releasing them fast enough, and some who would read the first section and not any more.

Just read the section on Maccabees Geoff - still enjoying it greatly - and it’s beautifully written :smiley:

How are you liking Jesus Driven Life? I’m about 60% or so through it, and I think it’s phenomenal and very insightful. I think everyone should read it.

Thank you so much!

I’ve just published Part 12, which explores the third and final temptation of Jesus in the desert.

I’m up to part ten, so just three articles to go (the ones on the temptation in the desert) and I’m all caught up. Good stuff bro, keep 'em coming :slight_smile:

I’m loving it, Tim! :smiley: About 3/4 done. I agree totally with everyone reading it. Though Hardin’s not the greatest stylist, the book is very accessible to non-theologians and his arguments are thorough and well-supported. His presentation of Girard’s “mimetic theory” was concise and excellent and I loved the historical discussion of the early church etc. Just phenomenal, as you said!

:sunglasses:

Geoff; I started reading through your series last night, and I’m really enjoying it. I’m maybe about halfway through (or less), and I’ll be very interested to see the conclusions you draw. Great series; thanks for sharing.

Thank you! The series is finished, I am just publishing one section a day now until I’ve got all 25 sections published. So if you catch up, bear with me!

By the way, I’ve been meaning to check out Jesus Driven Life sometime, as well. Hardin worked with Walter Wink - who was a huge influence on my thinking in the area of Satan/Demons - on a section of the “Understanding Spiritual Warfare: Four Views” book, which I put a couple quotes from in my series in the second post.

Yeah; Hardin’s approach is very influenced by Rene Girard’s mimetic theory/ mimetic realism and Walter Wink’s work. I think it’s one of the most insightful books I’ve ever read, and it touches on a number of important and interrelated topics, including the atonement. I plan to re-read it once I finish it; it’s just that good.