The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Stoning Sabbath Breakers Today?

Seems I’m not the only one “frustrated” here am I? No, you are not the frustration per se - you emulate the spirit of our Christ wonderfully Bob! - but I dare say you’ve embodied what I labeled “shiftiness” (ie the inability to be pinned down…) in how you handle my fair, and I think gentle question about the law. You decry the semantics – then employ them?? Semantics such as “not under the law” then go on in your note to defend that expression?

Let me just boil this down and clarify:
Seems I sensed a “gotcha” moment with you trying to get me to "concede that “no” Biblical texts separate Torah’s moral and ceremonial obligations, or even “the 10 and the rest.” – as if that sustains YOUR position and hurts mine! It does nothing of the sort!! Which is why I used the visual “hang”.
— So do we agree that there REALLY IS some kind of moral stratification in the entirety of “the law” in the Torah? And that we accept that the Jewish thinkers would disagree with us BOTH??? (that’s the way it seems to me…)

What I really, REALLY REALLY!!! want to know, and had hoped you’d be able to answer for me, is this expression which has “frustrated” me for nigh on my whole life:
which law is it that you believe you are “no longer under”?
That’s direct bible language so I hope we’re not calling THIS semantics and rhetoric.

And additionally, since we disagree on this, you must believe me to be “under law” in ways you are not… Is that accurate?

So it sounds like you WANT a hierarchy – but don’t have any idea how to arrive at an appropriate one? Yet what I’m trying to get you to admit is that you DO make a hierarchy! You do this when you DEMOTE the 4th commandment to lesser status than the other nine! THIS one is not binding; while the others somehow are. That’s a demotion.

Now THAT is rhetoric. And it’s merely to make the point that, given that you DON’T feel obligated to keep the 7th day Sabbath, for you it WOULD be a chore. Which would mean some sort of feeling that you had to keep it. Yet for me, reading that same command, is a privilege and exciting honor. (And quite honestly, I’m thinking that Kelly feels much the same way about the way SHE keeps the entire thing as an honor and privilege! – that’s part of the POINT I’m making here!)

Absolutely. And I am chagrined to think that I come across and doubting that in any way in your life. You too are moved by the love of God just like the rest of us here on this site.

Well sure, that’s nice of you and all, but how you arrive at the principle without the acceptance of the stated DAY escapes me. I’ll take the principle; but hold the day. Like you’re ordering your burger “my way” someplace. We don’t get to WRITE the 10 commandments! That was already done! So yes; isn’t it obvious you ARE evading the 7th day? And that you DO feel no obligation to it? That just stating your own position. I just don’t get this drive to separate the “way” from the “day”??

But I’m trying to say that the gracious privilege and the moral obligation are the exact same thing here! And that part of that privilege and obligation is the 7th day Sabbath! Which should be incredibly easy to see given it’s right there in the midst of the other moral obligations which are best thought of as privileges.
So in sum, I don’t doubt your sincerity, or honesty, or standing before almighty God or anything like that.
What I DO question is your giving yourself the right to treat the 4th differently from the rest of the 10.

Bobx3

Dear auggy and Bobx1 and the rest reading…

I must say I’m not really comfortable arguing for Sabbath observance here. Not because I don’t believe it with all my heart and soul, but because I fear in so doing I risk sounding like I’m superior, or closer to God, or possess better theology or something… All things which could be construed as prideful. I love your company here, and love your witness for Christ. And don’t believe for a second that your disagreement here with me on this issue reflects for one second means you are in any way inferior or less loved by the Father or anything like that…
It just that I see the Sabbath as an invitation to new paradigms of love and holiness: and so am honestly puzzled by those who seem not to accept the invitation.

It’s as if we all got an invite to a party: I went, you didn’t. I thought the party was great! and wished you would have come too.

Like God has asked me – ME! – for a date… I go on these “dates” every Seventh day Sabbath. And man I wouldn’t give up a single one of them! But lest you imagine that makes me feel better than you, it doesn’t. Just that, as they say, “wish YOU were here!”

Here’s the honest truth of the matter… My years of wrestling with the MEANING of the Sabbath (no, it’s not always easy, nor intuitive, nor natural, and yes, at time it can feel like a total pain… and a chore…) is the precise thing which lead me to the openness to accept UNIVERSALISM as THE all encompassing doctrine about ALL the truths about God that I’d grown to love!!

SABBATH!! – KEEP it! (But how? and isn’t that legalistic??) KEEP it!!
But don’t keep it alone. Extend it to ALL with in your gates – even the traveler. And EVEN to the beasts of burden! Extend it to ALL My creation!
Surely one of THE most inclusive images of all the Old Testament; the keeping of the Sabbath by EVERYONE.

And on Sabbath, celebrate your roots; your origins; celebrate who your family really is. And when you do this, you will see that ALL of those around you ALSO have the same roots and family that YOU have. Community in God; these are our BROTHERS; celebrate your origins, and you celebrate EACH OTHER.
Is not the faint hint of Universalism growing stronger???

But we have fallen – been taken into slavery and oppression. But on Sabbath we remember – and celebrate – our redemption; we have been redeemed and our debts have been paid. We have a NEW Master! A great prefiguring of the enormity of what our Christ accomplished. On the Cross. For EVERYONE. SABBATH is indiscriminate in it’s inclusion: ALL have been reconciled! The Sabbath truth extends even, and maybe especially, to those who have yet to SEE it’s vast generosity. For ALL are in bondage and ALL must experience this redemption – freely given! Please! CELEBRATE that on Sabbath!

But here’s where it gets really crazy aug and Bob… In my denomination, we have come to see the Sabbath as a mark of OUR specialness. Our “chosen-ness”. Our specialness in His eyes. That never made sense to me however; though I didn’t know it THEN, I was breathing, with my wrestlings about what Sabbath meant, the rarified air of UNIVERSALISM.

I know my words with you, in arguing for the Sabbath, have sounded exclusive to you, and maybe judgmental. Which is incredibly unfortunate because that is exactly the opposite from what I believe Sabbath conveys to this saved, redeemed, race. I keep Sabbath to celebrate our brotherhood. In Christ. Who has created us, redeemed us, and some grand day shall gather us at His table and share a meal with us. Sabbath, right along with Universalism, assures me that is going to BE a reality!

Sorry I’ve been so weak in conveying that truth about the Sabbath…

Bobx3

Bob,

1st, I’d thot you’d called saying that we’re not under law was shifty. Now you complain that I then “defended the semantics of that expression.” But I’m left with no idea how you think I should respond, or why supporting that phrase is uncool. You do now say the handling of your “gentle question about the law” is what was shifty. Tell me which question you felt was poorly answered, and I’ll be glad to try to do better.

2nd, you say which Law it is the people think Paul means we’re now released from has frustrated you all your life. I continually modifed it as the Torah’s Mosaic Law, i.e. the codes Jews found in Scripture, esp. the Pentateuch, and considered morally binding(is that clearer) . So, Yes, if I argue that the rule of “Saturday” rest does not mean we need to follow it, I would assume you think we are “under” it differently than I do. Of course I do think we’re under ‘law’ in other senses, such as bound by “the law of Christ.”

You say MY position ALSO “hangs” on Torah separating the 10 commands as moral and the rest as ceremonial. I’m not understanding you here. I thot my view hung on finding them NOT separated like that. IF Scripture indeed declared that most of Moses’ Law was ceremonial and temporary, but the 10 are moral and remain binding, I’m not seeing how I could then challenge #4? My cautionary approach to Torah seems to require precisely seeing them as a corpus in the O.T.

Your term “stratification” is unclear to me. I suppose Jews might think some rules rank higher than others, but I think they saw Scripture as making them ALL morally binding. And my own concern is not with varying “strata,” only whether some guidelines remain valid while others are quite invalid for us.

1. Ah, semantics! I see you mean by a ‘stratified’ “Hierarchy” that my rejection of the 4th one “demotes” it to a “lower status.” It’s just that I wouldn’t have described rejecting it as indicating a “status” at all.

2. NO, I’ve never thot keeping the 7th day Sabbath “would be a chore.” What for? It seems like one of the easier ones to me. And everyone I know who practices it testifies what a great blessing it is. Is there a reason to disagree? I simply believe that it is Biblically questionable that it must be kept as originally formed.

3. But you object that not observing “Saturday” “evasively” violates God’s “stated” will. And of course, you see no “right” or basis to question it as an “obligation.” But of course these threads have been all about hashing out the texts, esp. whether Jesus’ approach encourages us to question such things. Also, of course, are the apostolic references which (in my mind) diminish the essentiality of placing importance on outward practices such as different interpretative convictions about sabbaths and sacred days. Of course, discussing this with Adventists, I realize that interpretations of these texts are strongly defended (that these don’t even refer to “the” sabbath, etc) which allows the Decalogue to all be permanent in a way that the rest of the Law may not be.

Bob,

You are a wonderful brother from who I’ve gained a great deal, and I love your recent interpretation of the Sabbath! I am very glad that you are blessed by the richness of it. Ironically, what you find in it resonates in great similarity with my experience of it in the ways that I interpret and practice it (even though it’s a bit different than yours).

All of God’s best to you,
Bob

TV, indeed you’ve blessed me too. (Kelly as well). I don’t think of you who hold a “literal” resting on the sabbath as legalistic people. This discussion has been one I’ve been really wanting to have for quite some time.

When Bob put the paper “A Cast Against Jesus” together, for me it gave me such a challenge because I find EVERYONE gets baffeled by this man Jesus. Originally, I wanted to hold a debate at church where church members would defend Jesus while Bob and I would prosecute him (Bob’s paper being the template). We never were able to achieve that but the questions it raised were fascinating to me. So meeting Kelly on here and having a friend from hich school who’s much like her, I really wanted to persue it. The discussion on homosexuality launched this topic and for me it’s been enjoyable.

I hope you understand we’re not trashing the sabbath. As Bob stated, we hold it - like most Christians - in Christ. But we certainly don’t think of anyone like Kelly or yourself as being wrong for practicing it or even wanting others to experience what you have. Just don’t be shocked if they don’t - we’re all different.

However, I do tend to wonder just how far this rabbit hole goes and I do intend to persue it further - if not here. I read on Facebook comments where people speak down of Christians who don’t hold the law and I sit there wondering, because they read their bibles is why. Can’t these people see that others read it different than they do? Can’t they see the passages where it AT LEAST appears as if some of these laws are external. But they can’t. I’m afraid some of these people do think it makes them better, and why not? After all an obedient person IS better than a disobedient person. It’s better to love then to murder. Suddenly the thrust of Martin Luther begins to build force regarding works and grace - so that NO MAN may boast.

This forum is better than any place I’ve been to on the internet to hold such discissions. ISIA and Kelly have both been cordially and loving. Somtimes frustrated, but I think it’s mosly due to miscommunication. You guys may think - Auggy thinks we’re legalists - but I don’t. HOWEVER I do think the ideology may be legalistic. It’s hard for me to accept that a sabbath breaker (a top 10 blasphemer) who God commanded must die is just ok if he doesn’t want to endorse it “literally”. In other words, if God commanded the death of a Sabbath breaker, and it’s top 10, then why would you be ok with us who don’t obey it - as you think it should be? Unless, as I suspect, deep down you know there’s something to this whole notion that our rest is LITERALLY being in Christ Jesus and reconciled to God.

I appreciate your endorsing a blessing, but a law is different. And that’s what’s being discussed. But not just the sabbath…Pork. Does Pork defile people? Does God evaluate people based on if they obey his food laws? All of it should be scrutinized.

As for the Sabbath and Universalism, I agree. But I see it that we are reconciled and at Sabbath by his death. Israel’s coming out of slavery was a type of ALL MEN being saved - for ALL Men have been bound to Egypt that he might have mercy on them all. But now we see the reality - He’s sweet and perfectly loving and patient. He is that sabbath. He is our reconciliation. He is our Universal Salvation. He is everything and so I agree with you. But just as I see no need to worry about pork or fabrics, I see no need to sit down on saturdays. Instead what I see is our never ceasing prayer and our spiritual act of worship which is not defined by closing our eyes to pray or by going to church on sunday (or sat for some). It’s much deeper. It’s Agape - and if one loves, then one is doing those very things.

I know you appreciate our view as well regarding Christ. Please, don’t see us as judging you. So long as us asking hard questions is not construed as us calling you a legalistic pharisee :slight_smile:

Lots of love and God’s peace to you,

Auggy

Is Romans 14 relevant to this discussion (or have I totally missed the point)?

And a rather off-topic thought occurs to me - even though the context of Romans 14 is one of believers not judging each other over differences of christian practice concerning whether or not something is sinful (it is if you think it is seems to be the gist - and don’t do it if it will cause your brother to stumble even though not sinful for you per se), the quote used in verse 11 is plainly universal in its own context and is just used here to bolster this argument among believers - it in no way limits the utterance of God itself from applying to all humans - a universal rule applies equally to all and a subset (in this case believers). A subset that has a universal rule applied to it does not limit the universal rule. I believe this goes some way to answering Revival’s arguments in other threads that the local context of believers restricts universal principles.

Back to the OT :wink:

I think it definitely applies, Jeff. The key is not causing each other to stumble (showing love).
I also think of (Paul’s, I think) phrase about “all things are lawful, but not all things are profitable”. It seems that there are universal “laws” that apply to everyone (e.g. gravity), just because of the design of the universe, and we can reap natural consequences of violating those laws. But we are not to judge one another with regard to things like the sabbath.

Jeff & Mel,

You both embrace what my own recent response was assuming is relevant, though others may interpret those passages differently.

So to bring it back to the OP (which is not rhetorical): If God’s law is to be upheld - say top 10 - then what about the consequences that God’s law provides instruction for, namely kill the sabbath breaker.

Here are the two responses I’ve gathered:

Paidion seemed to imply that the death penatly laws are external to the top 10.

Kelly argues that spiritual death is impending so following God’s command to put someone to death is met.

here’s my response to those two reasons:
Instructions regarding the sabbath laws are found outside the ten commandments. If all of the regulations, which defind the Sabbath, are a part of the 1 commandment of the 10 - then the death penalty should be as well for it’s a natural function to the commandment if it’s broken.

To Kelly I would say, it seems to me that you are interpreting things the way you want to. If God’s command is that the Sabbath Breaker must be put to death, it seems unlikely that he meant the sabbath breaker will die of old age. If you argue it’s spiritual death, in light of Numbers 15 where God instructs Moses to stone the sabbath breaker, then I would say you’re now spiritualizing the command to kill the sabbath breaker. If spiritualizing the killing part is ok then why not spiritualize the REST?

But more importantly to me is the question I’ve been asking:

For us who don’t obeserve the sabbath as God commands (as seeing by TV and Kelly and others) then are we dead spiritually and can a Christian endorse a twisted sabbath or is perhaps such people are not even Christians.

I would say that if a Christain endorses that since we’re not under the law that we may now commit adultery, murder as we see fit, steal from whomever we please - they cannot be a Christian.

But what about the sabbath?

A real dillema, which deserves a whole other topic, is this issue that on one hand Paul attacks judaizers but on the other hand allows for differeing views on food laws (Rom 14 - as Jeff illustrates). I think this is another angle of which we’re all trying to make sense of.

No JeffA (and by the way, quite glad to see your name here more frequently!) this passage is highly relevant to the discussion. I’d guess my take is a bit different from auggy’s however…

In part, here’s what I mean…
Imagine if Paul wrote this:

That seems to fit here wouldn’t it?
– but that’s not at all what Paul says about circumcision in Galatians! Does it make you wonder why Paul didn’t take this precise Romans 14 approach with “the law” of circumcision over in Galatians?

Not sure if that seems as curious to auggy as it does to me…

Or imagine Paul saying this:

I hope that sounds quite dissonant with what Paul is actually saying here in Romans 14. Clearly if we read that statement we’d be quite certain PAUL didn’t write it!

So my point is that there are things about which Paul does say this, and things about which Paul would NOT say this. There is a dividing point. What is that point?

The division of “moral law” (perhaps aka the law of love) versus the rest of them. Aka the ceremonial law; or the sacrificial system law; or the Mosaic law…

So it’s not a totally arbitrary dividing point it seems to me. That seems generally agreed upon here…
As I’ve repeatedly said, for me The Sabbath commandment falls quite logically into the Moral Law category; since it was placed there by it’s author. Yes, I read a whole lot into where it’s placed. That seems a natural reading of the matter.

Others here find that, given this commandments apparent “different” nature, that is, it’s rendering is less obviously grounded in morality, it’s interpretation is more subjective, perhaps more “optional”, it must be treated differently.

As I’ve stated before, I do not believe Paul is here (Romans 14) referring to the Sabbath commandment, but to the ceremonial “sabbaths” of Lev 23… In my view, he would never say such a thing about THE Sabbath, just as he wouldn’t say it about the 10 commandments….

Be that as it may, you are quite correct here to underline the reality that God far prefers actions which proceed from the conviction of faith; not the dreary fulfilling of laws and obligations because we are so ordered. (recall from Matthew, it is possible to do the right thing, but for the wrong reason… To those Christ says depart from Me; you never knew Me…)

Bobx3

Hi Jeff,
Thank you for your input. You may have something here. I am going to take a closer look at it. There are three things that I thought of as I read your quote and I’m not sure how they fit in right now but, something to think about and perhaps discuss;
1.)I don’t think anyone is “judging” their brother here in the way Paul is addressing. To discuss scripture and it’s meaning may make all of us “feel” judged at times because we all see things differently. If indeed differing opinions mean we are judging, we should repent and shut down this forum immediately. I disagree with some on the point of the Sabbath but, I do not judge if they will stand or fall and I praise God that He is able to make us all stand.
2.) This epistle is written to Romans. Their “special days” would have been Saturnalia, Lupercalia, Agonalia, Fontinalia, Meditrinalia, etc. Not the Appointed days of Yehovah, including Sabbath but, the worship and praise of idols in ancient Rome. It does seem logical that Paul was calling them to stop committing idolatry which is also consistent with all of scripture. I don’t celebrate Christmas (which comes from Saturnalia) but, I have many friends and family that do. Some in a religious manner (pagan and christian) and some celebrate without thought of any religious connotation. I don’t judge if they are standing or falling. God is the judge. And He is able to make them stand. I don’t think Paul is saying - so just live in ignorance and defilement for the rest of your life and don’t worry about it but, I think he may be allowing those in the new faith room and telling others not to expect pagans to act like the people God has given the oracles to - that have taught their children and their children for generations. (I’m thankful for that because I understand it). But, are we to believe this text proves that Paul is condoning idol worship? That by proclaiming “don’t judge” we are to assume atrocities, including sacrificing your children to an idol, it is permissible/acceptable as long as the person is “convinced in his own mind”?
3.) A scant 11 verses prior to what you have quoted above, Paul says this;
Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.
(Rom 13:8-14)
Paul clearly states that in keeping the commandments, you are loving, that it is equivalent with “putting on the armor of light”, and in keeping the commandments you make no provision for the flesh.
Also, very important to this thread specifically, Paul says " . . . and if there be any other commandment (meaning all) it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself". The Sabbath would fall under the “any other commandment” comment.
Just a few thoughts - still have much to consider.
Thank you for your thoughtfulness. Love and peace!

Bob,
I think you’ve summed up much that’s been said quite nicely. There are semantics at play no doubt and so I don’t want to continue to make clear I don’t see Kelly or you or anyone who literally rests on Saturdays unto the Lord to be some “legalistic” crime.

Like I’ve said, my belief is that we do observe the sabbath, but not by sitting. Rather by recognizing our reconciliation and living it out in our lives by doing good. I’ve expressed my belief that Jesus was not declaring “It’s ok for preists to do good work on the Sabbath.” but instead understand him to be declaring it’s ok for ANYONE to do good work on the sabbath - for such work is God’s work. So I find it logical to say we can be at work (for whatever you do do unto the Lord) and simulaneously be honoring the sabbath (rest in God’s kingdom which is within).

So I don’t know about Bobx1’s ideas on that, but those are mine. So I agree the sabbath has value, but not in a literal way of having to rest our muscles or bones. I’m just not big on symbols being taken literally (like Catholics do with transubstantiation).

Yes I think we agree about the dividing point - it’s uncertain and no one (us included) has any text to bear to illuminate where this line is. I’m not one to argue from silence and say since the Sabbath is in with other moral laws, then it must be moral. What if it was one that wasn’t? Unlikely? Perhaps. Impossible? No.

I’ve clarified that I’m favoring the idea that there is a moral subtext to it however. That is rest 1 day a week provides a subtext that people should not work their employees or slaves 14 hrs a day 7 days a week. For a healthy community people need time with their families and need to get rest from work. But does this necessitate that Saturday be the day off? Does it necessitate that if work is done on the sabbath, he must be put to death? There I find typology of the Christ blatantly expressed - The sabbath breaker will die - sort of set up all along, and Jesus knew it (thus antagonizing his critics).

There’s so much to say but one things I think is becoming clearer - neither side of this argument sees that washing the cup on the outside does anything to the inside - we agree on that. What’s not clear is what does “a clean outside” really mean. There seems to be 2 expressions:

a) Those who obey All God’s commands literally from the heart (no adultery, no lying, no murder, no working on sabbath, no other gods…).

b) Those who obey God’s 10 premier commands literally from the heart (no adultery, no lying, no murder, no working on sabbath, no other gods…).

c) Those who obey God’s commands spiritually from the heart (to do what is right, justice, mercy and love God and neighbor - meeting all the commands when they are properly understood and summed) .

That seems to me to be the point of disagreement. – perhaps I’m wrong about that –

Aug

Just pondering . . .

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
(1Jn 2:1-6)

Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
(Rom 13:8-10)

The commandments in the NT - borrowed from a website:
First Commandment: You shall have no other gods before Me
Matthew 4:10; 6:24; 22:37-38; Luke 4:8; Revelation 14:7.
Second Commandment: Thou shalt not worship Idols
Acts 15:20; 17:16; 29; 1 Corinthians 5:10-11; 6:9; 10:7, 14, 19; 12:2; 2 Corinthians 6:16; Galatians 5:20; Ephesians 5:5; Colossians 3:5; 1 Thessalonians 1:9; 1 Peter 4:3; 1 John 5:21; Revelation 2:14; 9:20; 21:8; 22:15.
Third Commandment: Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain
Matthew 5:33-34; 1 Timothy 6:1; James 2:7.
Fourth Commandment: Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it Holy
Matthew 12:8, 12; 24:20; Mark 1:21; 2:27-28; 6:2; Luke 4:16, 31; 6:5; 23:56; Acts 13:14, 42, 44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:1-2; 18:4; Hebrews 4:4, 9-10 (See also Amplified, ASV, BBE, NASB, NIV, RSV and NRSV.)
Fifth Commandment: Honour your father and your mother
Matthew 15:4; 19:19; Mark 7:10; 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 1:30; Ephesians 6:1-2; Colossians 3:20; 2 Timothy 3:2.
Sixth Commandment: Thou shalt not Murder
Matthew 5:21-22; 19:18; Mark 7:21; 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 1:29; 13:9; Galatians 5:21; 1 Timothy 1:9; James 2:11; 1 Peter 4:15; 1 John 3:15; Revelation 9:21; 21:8; 22:15.
Seventh Commandment: Thou shalt not commit Adultery
Matthew 5:27-28; 19:18; Mark 7:21; 10:11-12, 19; Luke 16:18; 18:20; Acts 21:25; Romans 1:29; 2:22; 7:3; 13:9; 1 Corinthians 5:11; 6:9, 18; 10:8; Galatians 5:19; Ephesians 5:3; 1 Thessalonians 4:3; Hebrews 13:4; James 2:11; 2 Peter 2:14; Jude 1:7; Revelation 2:14; 2:21-22; 9:21.
Eighth Commandment: Thou shalt not Steal
Matthew 19:18; Mark 7:22; 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 2:21; 13:9; 1 Corinthians 5:10-11; 6:10; Ephesians 4:28; 1 Peter 4:15; Revelation 9:21.
Ninth Commandment: Thou shalt not bear false witness
Matthew 15:19; 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; John 8:44; Acts 5:3-4; Romans 1:29; 13:9; Ephesians 4:25; Colossians 3:9; 1 Timothy 4:2; 2 Timothy 3:3; Revelation 21:8; 22:15.
Tenth Commandment: Thou shalt not Covet your neighbour’s things
Mark 7:22; Luke 12:15; Acts 20:33; Romans 1:29; 7:7; 13:9; 1 Corinthians 5:10-11; 6:10; Galatians 5:19; Ephesians 5:3, 5; 1 Timothy 6:10; 2 Timothy 3:2; 2 Peter 2:14; Hebrews 13:5.

Greetings Auggy!
Actually no, it isn’t what I said. On the other thread I said God’s law is just law and why not have it as a civil law because, even if all the laws were for all of us, it would be easier to keep the 613 than the thousands more laws, codes, etc. written in American law. If the law wasn’t just then Jesus died for nothing – including your salvation. If the law is unjust, what makes you think you have a chance for salvation? Even to obey all 613 commandments of God is a whole lot easier than following all the US laws. One count I read recently said the US has approximately 1, 298,000 laws. At that rate, how many do each of us break every day? Why aren’t we crying “we’re free from the law” on that? I’ll tell you why, because they come and haul you away if they decide to judge you guilty. YEHOVAH is not “harsh” in His judgments, He is fair and disciplines us for our good not wanting any to perish. Why do we hear the bemoaning of obeying His laws and not these others? How hard can even a full 613 laws be compared to all these others? To now answer your question directly Auggy. The “law” of God is for all people. I think it would be a great civil law to follow as Israel did, it is a lot less oppressive as you can see by the sheer numbers above. Even in America, there is life for life. If you murder, you may be put to death, or spend the rest of your life in prison. What’s the big difference? Except there are a whole lot less of God’s laws. If you don’t pay your taxes you could be “put to death” by the swat team who comes to pick you up at your house. Why is it so much harder to just take the rest God gives you?
So, I see God’s law as just – even now. It is not harder to keep than any other country’s laws. So, yeah, it’s a just civil law. It’s not His law that is unjust but, men who are unjust. That’s where it gets scary. Yes, Christ died for us – because we didn’t keep the law rightly but, that doesn’t make the law bad. If you murder someone, you may “accept Christ” and be forgiven for your sin (crime against God and neighbor) and, you may get away with the crime but, most likely you will have to pay for your crime in any country. How does God saying it is justice make it so much worse? This is why Jesus says to pray for the governing authorities – because they exist as ministers to you for good but if you do evil be afraid for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil (Rom 13: 4).

All the instructions are outside of where the 10 are listed because it is a summation of Torah.
The Sabbath is a sign of the relationship with Him. I don’t understand the idea that upholding the law is not important. How do you prove to anyone you are a believer in God? Because you are like them and approve of their deeds? As a non believer who knew nothing of this God, I can guarantee you – I wasn’t looking for anyone like me to tell me how to have a relationship with God. I didn’t need the help of someone like me to “show me the way” - I was already walking in it. Yeah, God does loves us but, He doesn’t want to leave us in the stinking hole of sin we are in. If righteousness means whatever seems ok and you approve of and are convinced of in your own mind why the heck do I need your God? Or so the logic may go.

Yes, and if you say we don’t need to keep the sabbath literally then you also say it is permissible to kill a person, or steal from them, commit adultery, etc. Maybe you or someone who listens to you will wake up on death row trying to convince themselves it was reasonable to murder that person and, most likely, crying out WHY GOD! WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME???

This is the crux of what Paul is saying. We should have the Spirit of God in us which would not condone sin (right?). We should be upholding the law (not under it for salvation) but, upholding it because it is just and the just shall live by faith. However, there are those who have never known justice. They need time to come out of sin, to be taught by God and “the elders” in the faith what God desires of His people– which is obedience with a right heart. Otherwise, what makes Him any different than their pagan gods? What does He have to offer that they didn’t already have? So yes, imo, we should uphold the law (as Paul states) but, give each other room to grow. That is why I said spiritually God will judge if our hearts are right with Him at the judgment. But, it is still important here while we are on earth.

Do you hear the church screaming “WE AREN’T UNDER THE LAW!”. Translation = we don’t have to do what God says is right because it doesn’t matter to us – we have all kinds of cool interpretations to keep everyone in sin and still think they are o.k. Do you see the amount of adultery, malicious gossip, theft, etc among those who call themselves “the brethern”? Do you think this pleases God? Do you think it is the “way”? If a person is coming out of the world and has been committing adultery, stealing, or whatever, God still loves him and wants him to be blessed but, He wants the guy to change and do what is right. Don’t ya think?

The “judaizers” were telling everyone that they must be “UNDER THE LAW” to be “saved”. Paul says no, we are “saved” by grace through faith but, we should still uphold the law because it is good, just and holy and spiritual.
JUDAIZERS = MUST BE UNDER THE LAW TO BE SAVED
PAUL = SAVED BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH APART FROM THE LAW BUT, BECAUSE OF OUR SALVATION WE SHOULD UPHOLD THE LAW - IT IS HOLY, JUST, GOOD AND SPIRITUAL.

Kelly,
Once again I hear an overture of sematics being repeated over and over. Yes I see some differences but some I don’t.

I challenge you - find me one Protestant or Catholic church which state

1. we are allowed to worship other gods.
  2. we are allowed to murder.
  3. theft is part of the kingdom of God
  4. Adultery is no longer a sin.

It’s hard to get this through to you but NO CHURCH I’ve ever attended would conceed your view at all. So if you provide that to me I’ll believe you. But I find that to be a GROSS misinterpretation of anything said by the church who does not practice a literal sabbath or who allows eating of pork.

My guess is you will have great difficulty finding any church websites (protestant or catholic) which endorse 1-4 on my list. And there’s a good reason why. They endorse love - and that is why they don’t submit to adultery.

The OP raises questions regarding resting on Saturday’s and it’s moral implication and our instruction to put sabbath breakers to death.

I’m off to bed so I’ll tackle your other points you made,

God bless and have a great night.

Dude, (Auggy)
You are the church saying we don’t have to keep the law. In essence you are saying we can commit adultery without consequence because we don’t have to keep God’s laws that say it’s wrong. You, personally may pick and choose which commandments to keep or not keep but, it doesn’t matter anyway because there is no accountability for sin by your standard.

Chica (Kelly),
That’s not at all what Christians are saying (including me). We make a distinctions between ceremonial laws and moral laws which you can’t seem to do. As I’m understanding you and TV, the way you know what is moral is by the law (so for you it’s all moral). Again, not a pejorative, I’m feeling my way around the elephant.

Saying, “in essence” is false. Critical thinking will teach you that often when things seem either or, it’s not. Things can be complicated and complex and this is one of those ways.

Do you everr encounter others who argue “Kelly, either your saved by grace or by the works of the law so YOUR WRONG!” - I imagine you’ve encountered that type of mentality. If so it’s because they don’t appreciate that YOU DONT THINK YOUR SAVED BY OBEDIENCE TO THE LAW YET YOU UPHOLD THE LAW. For them it’s either or.

So the discussion is what part(s) of the law needs to be upheld or are parts of the law spiritual or symbolic.

In this case of the OP - I see no sense in saying God commands us to not mix fabrics so I won’t. God says don’t eat rabbit, so I won’t. God says to put the death the sabbath breaker, adulterer, homosexual, that’s one I won’t do.

If you’ve going to obey God’s commands then I would assume it would include the punishmenets for violators.

I don’t think you’ve addressed the weight of my question. You answer that some “new” Christians have to be slowly brought into God’s law - so sabbath and food laws are not required immediatley. But who are you to pick which one’s can be violated and are you adding to the torah when you do so? Were the Apostles adding to the torah when they did so?

Do you think Paul was good with Christians who ensorsed sleeping with their own mother? He excommunicated the person. So what about those who work on the sabbath - especially in light of the fact that the punishment for breaking the sabbath is to put to death the sabbath breaker?

If you can choose and pick what commands are valid for today, why can’t other Christians?

TV has admitted this, I don’t see why you can’t. TV has said “if that’s the hook upon which I hang, then so do you” - Fair enough - I think that’s right. We all hang upon this hook. There’s a rather larger question looming on all of us and one that won’t be easily tackled - how do we understand the nature of scripture and morality (epistemology is lurking). How do you know what is moral - Can you judge for yourself as Jesus says or do you need the law to show you what sin is? Perhaps I’ll start a new thread on that and give this one a break.

Aug

Hi Auggy:

I hope to have more time to follow up on some of this in the next week or so, but there is a reality that I think might explain/solve the dilemma you see in Sabbath keepers not stoning those who “break” the Sabbath… And as I’ve noted several times, neither do you stone those who break the commandments…

… We know – and explicitly so because of Jesus word’s to the subject – that some of what was commanded of old was done so not because it was “final pure truth” but because of the hardness of the hearers hearts. In this realm, hard hearts seem to require hard laws. These hard sayings, or hard laws – and I see the commands to stone lawbreakers as one of these hard laws – are not expressions of the kind of things God prefers from us (justice, mercy, contrite spirit, love, and so on…) but instead are the result of the depths of rebellion and depravity to which His beloved creation had fallen. We don’t like those laws, nor that hardness, and it makes us uncomfortable. But I’m pretty sure God liked them even less than we do; yet seems to have ordered them anyway to effect His ultimate purposes… Seems the only way God could get their attention was to go to these extremes!!

So the question of why God ordered such harsh things is a problem for all Christians and has no special relevance to Sabbath keepers… And I obviously don’t think (and am sure you don’t either) that the Sabbath command, or any of the rest of the 10, are in any way part of these “hard laws”…

Having said that however, you might find this comment quite interesting. Not a direct quote but a very close approximation. It’s from one of our denominations founders from like 150 years ago…

My point is that even though I believe the Decalog is a timeless expression of God’s character of love, I’m thinking it was a sad day for God when He had to thunder from Sinai – PLEASE STOP KILLING! and so on. But He did it anyway because that’s what the people seemed to need at the time…

Just a thought…

Bobx3

TV,
I had a response and lost it :frowning:
I’ll try to shorten up my responses for time conservation for us all :slight_smile:

I understand the appeal to think that sitting down on Saturdays is more than just for the muscle. I just don’t agree with it. If the morality of not working on the sabbath is for a social enviroment of employers not abusing the employee, then he could give Monday’s off. But that would break the sabbath.

As for the hardness of hearts, agreed. But we have hard hearts today, and I’m wondering if that’s how you see us who don’t agree that a literal resting on Saturdays is required? Theh problem with this answer is HEARTS ARE STILL HARD so why is it back in the OT hard hearts required being stoned, but today they don’t? Are you sure your not picking and choosing what is applicable?

I keep asking the question and I don’t accept Kelly’s response (I’ll have to go back and see if you tackled my question).

If a person today WILLFULLY endorses and practices murder, can he be a Christian?
If a person today WILLFULLY endorses and practices breaking the Sabbath, can he be a Christian?
If a person today WILLFULLY endorses and practices worshiping other gods, can he be a Christian?

Here’s what I’ve gathered from Kelly:
Since God’s law is just and it’s easy to follow 613 commands then we don’t have to stone people. Since God is harsh in his judgement (wonder where that came from). Tell that to the guy in Numbers 15. Tell that to Annaniah and Saphira. I’ve never heard of any American SWAT team breaking into a home and killing them due to someone’s failure to pay taxes. Sure they’ll lock you up, but that’s less harsh then lets say…stone the guy who works on saturdays. She didnt’ really adress the question except to espouse God’s law is just (we agree) God’s judgements are not harsh (don’t agree). If I’m too think resting (literally) on Saturdays is a moral obligation then I support stoning on the sabbath. I’m one who says if someone willfully murderes with an intent to harm then capital punishment is good - so I don’t hang on that hook with you do I?

TV’s response:
You don’t support killing adulteres yet you uphold not commiting adultery.

First off, the OP is not why don’t we, who don’t interpret the law literally in every single case, abandon the command to not commit adultery. The OP is why do those who literally interpret sabbath laws remove the punishment for breaking the sabbath?

If the position of following the sabbath is literal and it’s defense is that the law needs to be followed today then that group needs to define the line that tells them that the punishments are not appicable as well. Appealing to failures of other groups does not sustain the position - it’s like arguing from silence - or a red herring.

I know you don’t agree with God’s commandments as He spoke them but, even in a non literal - super spiritual sense - when God tells you to move, you move. When He tells you to be still - you are still. Why do you continue to try to portray those who obey the command to be still as lazy? Perhaps your disobedience is based on not stopping to listen to God or running ahead of Him, or pride - thinking your own way is so much better?

I would appreciate it if you would actually read what I posted before you fire one off yourself. Further, it may serve you better to tell others what you believe and why instead of reinterpreting another person’s view. My view is there for any who care to read it. You don’t have to reinterpret it.

Still, a good and logical question.

IMO, the “red herring” is that you think you don’t need to answer for your logic that allows you to do the same thing you want to hold another accountable for. I think this makes the conversation unbalanced, as well as clouded by verbal gymnastics that do not help at all in speaking truth to one another or trying to truly understand where another is coming from. I know you don’t want to be pinned down and that you do want to “hang” others who want to uphold Torah but, this isn’t a boxing ring for crying out loud. :laughing:
P.S. Please don’t confuse my direct speech with not liking you. I think your awesome and very :sunglasses: . This is just the clearest way I know how to speak.