Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:52 pm
by maintenanceman
Cindy Skillman wrote:None of the punishments we could administer or imagine could ever make things right. Justice means you get your murdered wife back, and the man who murdered her becomes the loving brother to you and to her that he ought always to have been. THAT is making things right. Everything else is a poor, impoverished human attempt to prevent the criminal from having an advantage he denied his victim. Did he kill? Let him not live, for his victim is dead. Did he steal? Let him have nothing, for he has diminished his victims, forcing them to support him without their consent. THAT is the best WE can do. It is far, far from the best God can do.

Cindy... That is really Good! Especially the part of " you get your murdered wife back, and the man who murdered her becomes the loving brother to you and to her that he ought always to have been." For many of us in the flesh, that takes mucho study, prayer and intervention by the Holy Spirit to even fantasize that we could be that forgiving. It is pure love that could pull that off!

Midas,

Christianity has been terribly influenced with words and phrases like suffering, damned, reprobate, heathen, forever, tormented with fire and brimstone etc...

For me I had to come to the point where I believed I served a loving God, not a God of wrath who awaits my every mistake.

I know quite a few folks that consider themselves Christians who are very ruffled at the notion of loving your enemy or turning the other cheek. This whole conversation, as I see it is a matter of perspective. And to be honest, the Holy Spirit had to work overtime on me to get me to come around for I was like many on this site, I just could not see it (total love of God) in scripture until the HS did his work. HE had to change the way I perceived.

Good luck.