Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:56 pm
by Michael
Cole H. wrote:Therefore, when God creates it's a gift.

If (as you seem to be saying), no state of existence can be compared to non-existence (and, therefore, no state of existence has any value when compared to non-existence), how could God's bringing you into existence be a gift?

What your saying here is that God didn't give you anything of value when He brought you into existence, and than "when God creates it's a gift."

That really doesn't make any sense.

Something and nothing have nothing in common so they can't be compared

When you say they have nothing in common, aren't you making a comparison?

And why can't things that have nothing in common be compared with one another?

The greater the difference, the clearer the comparison.

In fact, it would be much harder for me to compare two identical apples with one another than it is for me to compare apples and oranges (and Leibniz said that no two things can really be indentical, because than you'd have one thing and not two, and he called that the principle of undiscernibles.)

Do good and evil have anything in common?

Can they not be meaningfully compared?

Do opposites have anthing in common?

Can they not be meaningfully compared?

The Bible says that all things were created for Him.

But Christ is God, and God doesn't need glory, praise, or anthing else from us.

God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things (Acts 17:24-25.)

So it seems to me that if creation is The Father's gift to The Son, it's because wanting to give something of value is in the nature of The Son (and The Father, and The Holy Spirit.)

And with existence come possibilities that have real value.

It seems to me that creation can only be conceived of as a gift if existence is (or can be) better than non-existence.