Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:06 am
by Daniel (Da Pilgrim)
I have known a significant number of people who chose to live their lives contrary to their home environment. I have known people from "bad" homes turn our "good", and people from "good" homes turn out bad.

But you are correct in that, if determinism is true, then no one can be held responsible for his actions.

A bit of tongue and cheek really. I do think that people CAN be held "responsible" under determinism. My idea as mentioned before is a bit different to the general understanding of responsibility. I was merely pointing out that there is a heap of evidence that even under Freewill thought, there is sin that people commit that directly reflect their environments. These people are under pressure to sin in certain environments, in a way that others are not. They more often succumb to that sin due to the pressures around them, and others in different environments do not. According to Freewill thought, how can they be held "responsible" when those influences actually have a definite affect on what they will choose to do? Their choice was obviously not totally free, but rather manipulated.