The Evangelical Universalist Forum

70 AD- calling you Davo

Hi steve7150-I take satan in Job to be either one of Jobs friends or an angel,since it is located in a heavenl court. I think also Job is likely an allegorical book. Satan in Jesus temptation in the wilderness is Jesus own internal struggle with temptation. Satan becomes personified in the story to more fully reveal His struggle to remain obedient and show how He overcomes the sinful flesh which only He could do. Satan in Genesis is never called satan only a serpent. I know you can find other threads on here which deal with who satan is. Remember satan= adversary, and God was called satan to david in OT as well as Jesus calling Peter satan. Hope this helps

Hi steve7150-I take satan in Job to be either one of Jobs friends or an angel,since it is located in a heavenl court. I think also Job is likely an allegorical book. Satan in Jesus temptation in the wilderness is Jesus own internal struggle with temptation. Satan becomes personified in the story to more fully reveal His struggle to remain obedient and show how He overcomes the sinful flesh which only He could do. Satan in Genesis is never called satan only a serpent. I know you can find other threads on here which deal with who satan is. Remember satan= adversary, and God was called satan to david in OT as well as Jesus calling Peter satan. Hope this helps
Robert Posts: 42Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:51 amLocation: Happy Valley Oregon

Print view this post

Hi Robert,
I agree Job may be an allegorical book but it can still reference real entities like God. I believe Satan had access to heaven and he was specifically referenced apart from the sons of God at the beginning of the book. As far as Satan being one of Job’s friends there is nothing to imply any of them had the powers of destruction Satan had and Satan probably is a fallen angel since demons are referenced many times in the New Testament as occupying people. It seems to be more then an inner struggle with folks who Jesus cured of various maladies as he spoke directly to the demons and sometimes they spoke directly back to Jesus.
Jesus did call Peter “Satan” but sometimes I call my tennis buddy “Roger Federer” simply a figure of speech to make a point as I think Jesus did with Peter.

Steve, I think the physical resurrection was the church. When a spiritual change takes place within the heart, it manifests itself in our actions. This is bringing God’s way of life back into practice, things such as doing unto others, teaching, healing, giving, caring for others, etc.

Hi Robert,
There are many smarter folks on this forum that could talk about this but I’ll give it a go.

Try to imagine, not knowing Christ. Even with all of our disagreements and questions, He still beckons to us to learn about him. Every one of us who are Christians, are changed from what we once were. Something happened in us.

Now those before Christ had nothing but a hope of something to come (Jews) and the gentile (heathen) had… well they had their gods and ways.

Before Christ all were in darkness. Christ is light. It allows us to start to see. See things we never could before. The gospel of John talks in length about the light. I think it was Calvin who said that all humanity is shown very small snippets of Gods wonder and glory. He used the analogy of being in total darkness and a lightning bolt flashes. For a split second, you can see, then all is dark again. The excuse of not knowing has been taken away.

Christ allows us to start to see. Many of the Jews hardened their hearts and did not see the light. Meanwhile, some gentiles that heard about the Christ were changed. They were allowed to see.

And you are correct that even with the Holy Spirit we still fall short and sin. But I think this is where the idea of sanctification has merit. I’m a different Christian than I was twenty years ago. Yes I still fall short, but I have more peace and security in Christ in my life than I’ve ever had. I look at certain Christian men who are older than me and they flat out astound me in how humble and focused and peaceful they are. I hope to be there some day.

In many of Paul’s letters he continually is going on about the deeds of the flesh vs. the fruit of the spirit. Now I may be a little slow, but If those folks in those churches had it together, I don’t think He would have gone into such detail. Galatians is a prime example. He starts out talking about those who would bring a gospel different from the one he told them and ends up talking about holding one another up. In the 6th chapter it says Gal 6:1 Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.
Gal 6:2 Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.

I think this is spiritual vs. being fleshly. See Romans the 7th chapter

Now there is an argument that Paul is not talking about those in Christ but outsiders coming into the church. But in the 4th chapter (of Galatians)he calls them brethren and says they are sons with the Spirit of Christ, but then goes as far as to say he fears that his labors might have been in vain. That is heavy. Hard to read that and not imagine this is Spiritual mortal combat.

As far as when sin will cease, and the hypocrisy that seems to be prevalent, all I can say is that sin will not cease while we are in this fleshly body, (at least that is how it seems to me) but the occurrence of sin and the destructiveness of our sin should be lessening as we mature in Christ. As we learn and get strengthened in the spirit, that light of Christ shows more and more of our flaws (to our self) but the Holy Spirit is making us stronger and sharper and more useful every day.

Most hypocrisy in the church comes from some kind of fear that we are somehow going to allow the adversary to get a foothold. We somehow think Christ and/ or the Spirit in us is not capable of combating the enemy. Somehow pointing out each others sin and their less that pleasant consequences is better than trying to trying to restore them in kindness. Hypocrisy is combated by love. Love is patient, love is kind,* does not consider a wrong suffered*. :exclamation: When we individually or as an organized church body choose to deal with any situation with love, we can do no wrong. When we choose to put others ahead of our self, we will start to help in the healing of our wounded as opposed to shooting them.

Enough said. :slight_smile:

I like this :smiley:

Steve, I think the physical resurrection was the church. When a spiritual change takes place within the heart, it manifests itself in our actions. This is bringing God’s way of life back into practice, things such as doing unto others, teaching, healing, giving, caring for others, etc.

I like this :smiley:

I like this too but I think Jesus spoke about both a spiritual and physical resurrection in John 5. “Truly truly I say to you , an hour is coming and is now here when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.” 5.25

Since Jesus says “now an hour is coming and is now here” , it means now you can live by believing therefore this must be a spiritual resurrection and he contrasts this with the physical resurrection in 5.28 when he says “all who are in the tombs will come forth.”

Hi steve- thanks for getting back. i think if you look at Job you will see God is actually the One who sends the afflictions upon Job after the challenge presented to Him by satan. Various places in OT God used angels to carry out actions for Him. Satan means adversary so in this sense God was being Jobs adversary ultimately to reveal Jobs faithfulness in affliction. If you look throughout the Bible you will not find any passage identifying satan as a fallen angel kicked out of heaven. As far as demons i think this was Jesus accomodation to beliefs of evil spirits held in that time and era. I fully agree Jesus calling peter satan was a figure of speech which fits with my point. The hebrew for satan is actually ha-satan or the satan as opposed to a proper name. Hopefully some others can leadyou to other threads that go into more detail on satan and what it means.

jepne and mm- thanks for all your sharing!!! I agree with you both and what you said fits with what is said throughout the NT basically. MY main idea was to deal with Davos focus on how pantelism functions and yet we see so much sin still at work always in the world. Love definitely does make life more Christlike and improves everything as we operate on it as our mo. In reflection on what you shared, i think maturity is a goal we all must seek. We will all struggle with sin and failing to love but we have that transformation within us that every moment is seeking to lead us to keep changing to be more like Jesus. Like t he phrase- * i am not who i want to be yet but thank God i am not who I was* :sunglasses: :slight_smile:

If you look throughout the Bible you will not find any passage identifying satan as a fallen angel kicked out of heaven. As far as demons i think this was Jesus accomodation to beliefs of evil spirits held in that time and era. I fully agree Jesus calling peter satan was a figure of speech which fits with my point. The hebrew for satan is actually ha-satan or the satan as opposed to a proper name. Hopefully some others can leadyou to other threads that go into more detail on satan and what it means.

Many folks believe Isaiah 14 and Ezekial 28 refer to Satan as a fallen angel plus Jesus appeared to make a couple of references. I do know that Satan is known as “Ha Satan” or the adversary yet that seems to indicate he is a real adversary. Lastly Jesus had many conversations with demons
in front of various folks including his disciples. so was he being a ventriloquist ? Why would he perpetuate a false belief system if demons don’t exist? Jesus claimed to be “the truth” so accommodating a false belief system doesn’t seem truthful to me.

Hi Steve

I guess I tend to agree with Robert, though I don’t completely think that there absolutely are no such things as demons, I would have to say his point about Jesus dealing with the times at hand could very well be. I just don’t have enough to make a decision at this point

I would probably say the same thing about satan. Why I am on this forum is because my definition of what I believe hell is or could be has changed. The Idea of UR has made me look at everything from a different perspective. And from my view, it has also solidified my understanding of God’s sovereignty. I would not discount the existence of a Lucifer, as we are told about such a being, but would say for the most part that satan, the adversary, is the metaphorical name for the world without light. We are told that the world did not know him, so they were contrary to what Christ is.

Unfortunately, the church (which we have to understand is in a constant state of flux) ran with this idea of a fallen angle turned snake turned pitchfork wielding power akin to god on earth.

Whether it be satan, hell, demons, the trinity, the rapture etc… All these are ideas that over the years men have taken stands on (and for what it is worth) which part of or most of the traditional church has followed suit. They are Ideas… Yes very devout smart people have worked them out, but the scriptures (on these issues as well as others) could be see in a different way with all of them. (please I don’t want to get into it over the trinity… I merely used it as an example)

That’s my story and I’m stickin to it… for now :smiley:

Robert, got your pm :slight_smile:

As I understand it… what “changed” with Christ’s “about to be” (mellō) ‘parousia’ was the fullness of their expectation having come to fruition, that is, Israel’s promised redemption (covenant restoration) was complete. There was an outworking to perfection/fullness/completion in “the last days” (which THEY were in) as per 1Cor 10:11. In terms of Israel’s redemption… Christ’s cross was the DECISIVE EVENT with Christ’s parousia being the CULMINATING EVENT; both functioned as bookends to Israel’s redemption story. As Israel’s sanctifying firstfruit saints “in Christ” they had already born of the “incorruptible seed” (1Pet 1:23). This all came to fullness then in the parousia in perfection.

The old covenant was “corruptible” but the new covenant “incorruptible”. As they were “putting off the old man” (OC) and “putting on the new man” (NC) they were putting on the very LIFE of God, i.e., new covenant life. This was a process in THAT age.

What are you stipulating constitutes “evidence”? There’s no “evidence” that a solitary Jew crucified some 2000+yrs ago redeemed Israel, let alone reconciled humanity… however, like me I suspect you actually believe that such was the case?

An all too oft made charge that when held to scrutiny tends to fall FLAT BECAUSE most every biblical position “spiritualises” something – it just comes down to what that might be; take for example your own words here…

Consider this…

Were you literally / physically crucified in “the likeness” of Christ’s death… NO, and yet you understand the “spiritual” application being made, and do so without even batting an eyelid. Now apply the same principle to joining in Christ’s resurrection. ‘Resurrection’ was ALL ABOUT Israel coming up out of the “corruption” of the old covenant mode of existence, coming up out of the graves of bondage (covenant EXILE) into the “incorruptible” LIFE of God, i.e., the burgeoning NEW covenant age that was bursting forth in their day. We live beyond that time in the “new creation wherein righteousness dwells” 2Pet 3:13; 2Cor 5:17; they were coming into it, we have it… humanity HAS been reconciled!

Paul goes onto say “…that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.” His reference to being “raised from the dead” speaks to the OC community that was “dead in trespasses and sins” UNDER the Law, i.e., the old covenant. Thus Paul’s “BODY if sin” speaks to the old covenant.

How do you figure this Steve? That logic makes about as much sense as saying… well if SIN is destroyed then clearly there was never any need for it in the first place. :question:

The Jews had any number of beliefs regarding life after this life, or the lack thereof… the Sadducees being a case in point. However, for the most part you’re correct about the majority expectation of a bodily resurrection, BUT, their expectation wasn’t for a bodily resurrection “in heaven” beyond this life (at least not permanently) but rather resurrection BACK into THIS very same world… the very thing Jesus actually did.

Hi Steve- If you examine the context of the lucifer passage in Isaiah you will see lucifer actually refers to Nebuchadnezzar and kings of babylon. The Ezekiel passage refers to king of tyre. The references to satan throughout the Bible are personifications Like in Proverbs where wisdom is called a woman. This is God accomodating to peoples understanding at the time. Ancient Near Eastern cultures believed in many gods and demons, water was a plavce where demons were to inhabit in much understanding back then.When Jesus cast out the evil spirits he was restoring the people to a right frame of mind, freeing them of mental illness. Jesus cast out fever and other sicknesses as well. If satan is truly a supernatural fallen angel and demons other fallen angels who rebelled against God with him, then why is there not a constant possession considering how powerful such supernatural beings would be?? There is a book called The Real Devil by Duncan Heaster i think you would find especially interesting. He also has a website just google his name or realdevil.com I think Jesus is called the second Adam because Adam sinned and Jesus overcomes his sin by perfectly obeying God destroying the devil which is the sinful part of humans. Because Jesus overcame He gives us the same capacity through the Holy Spirit. Of course we still have our old nature in us like Paul says in Romans so we need to put on Christ constantly.

MM- look forward to talking :smiley:

It’s mostly correct EXCEPT with regards to ‘conversion’. You have to remember this ‘theopedia’ blurb (apart from the direct quote from my site which is missing above) is someone else’s take i.e., their understanding of pantelism and as such they’ve simply imposed some of their own rationale onto it and as such it’s not fully correct.

That is indeed my site… it is somewhat static these days, so more up there for information. Over the years I’ve probably written and responded more about pantelism on forum sites like this.

<εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων> “into the ages the ages” — such repetition is for pure emphasis, nothing more and nothing less. John likewise captures this of Jesus in his gospel… <Ἀμὴν ἀμὴν> “amen amen” = truly, i.e., “with all truth I say to you…” — these are emphatic statements. Again… “into the ages the ages” is a literary device expressing the TOTALITY or COMPLETENESS of such an end… such is qualitative NOT quantitative.

The pantelist position is that “the devil” was emblematic of all that the OC mode of existence stood for, i.e., it was those of the OC (Hagar and Ishmael) who were persecuting those of the NC (Sarah and Isaac) — law was always opposed to grace — the two covenants as per Gal 4:22, 24, 29. And it was that which became law-righteousness that “deceived the nations” i.e., the tribes of Israel.

Thus… “when did the devil go into the lake of fire” — in AD70 with the destruction of all that the OC stood for was torn down, i.e., the Temple.

“Conversion” was all relative to following in the service of God… THAT can and does still happen. Just because God’s prophetic and redemptive program has been fulfilled doesn’t negate the workings of God in people’s lives. Some are simply more aware of this and gratefully proactive with His grace.

:laughing:

That’s interesting, Davo. Thanks for the explanation.

Pantelism is sort of new to me. I don’t recall ever hearing of it before a year or two ago. Searching the internet in the past 24 hours, i’m surprised at how much info there is on the subject.

Do you have any thoughts on this book:

answers.org/bookreviews/misstheend.html

The reviews of it here are rather detailed & vary widely in their opinions:

amazon.com/End-All-Things-D … 1885767536

I don’t have Seraiah’s book but he is technically speaking a partial prêterist, and most partials view full prêterists as going a bridge too far. However, when you take certain obvious tenets of prêterism to their most logical or consistent conclusion then the full hog is hard to miss.

In prêt circles the “pantelist” moniker never really took off as an identifier. Back in the day when I embraced full prêterism and sought to develop a prêt website I ran with the name as I personally thought it sounded better. As I and some others explored the various conclusions of the ‘fulfilled’ paradigm it became evident that redemption went hand in hand with eschatology and that redemption was likewise fulfilled — hence pantelism in full prêt circles became viewed as ‘prêterist universalism’… and usually not looked upon with too much favour.

More correctly, pantelism is really inclusive prêterism’ as many basic assumptions of universalism are poles apart from pantelist’ conclusions. Most prêterists do not hold to the pantelist view that John’s ‘lake of fire’ is Jesus’ ‘gehenna’. Most full prêterists either see the lake of fire as Hell MkII, or they are annihilationists.

Origen said:

David is quite a scholar. The best. :smiley:

You might want to look at this…presence.tv/integral-theology/

From my standpoint (please watch all 3 1/2 hours) this is an eye opener, as much as pantelism was… There are differences, but what I learned is that I personally need to search… and realize that most of us here on this forum are trying to wake up. :laughing:

Davo, If we are not following the ways of the One True God, we are not reconciled to God. Since the beginning of creation, there have been false beliefs and doctrines which still continue to be preached today. Throughout the Old Testament there were times when these false beliefs were more prevalent( times of darkness and bondage) and times of refreshing, when the people turned their hearts back to God and became prosperous. This seems to be a reoccurring process.

I think davo was saying that God did his part without us having to follow anything, and that it was Christ that did the atoning work of redeeming Israel, and thus the whole of humanity. Our following, is a by product of our ‘understanding’ of what God has done though Jesus.

LLC, I agree that there is a distinction between Israel the man, and the nation of Israel. Further, Romans 2:28 states, *“For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh.”
But we need to be wary of Replacement Theology. I believe the following verse (referenced in Luke 24:21) is referring to national Israel:

He himself will redeem Israel from all their sins. Psalm 130:8.

**So I disagree with you that, ***“When the New Testament speaks of redeeming Israel, I think that they are talking about any man who follows the true God.” *

Consider Romans 11:25-29 (NKJV):

For me, as a futurist, the above passage points to a future national repentance, at the time of the future, physical, second coming of Christ. (Yes, the first Christians were all Jews; and there are many Jewish converts today. But the majority of Jews are still unsaved.)

Again, as a futurist, I recognize this related prophecy to be as yet unfulfilled:

Let me add that I believe God was, is, and will only ever be, nonviolent. Hence, I no longer buy into any bloodbaths supposedly perpetrated by God. As I have said elsewhere,

We are not to be passive or fatalistic about the devil. As my friend Richard Murray has said,

Blessings.

The pantelist position understands that God unilaterally reconciled the world to Himself through Christ, where He God unilaterally forgave humanity’s sins… this is the most obvious and plain reading of 2Cor 5:19, i.e., it’s there in black and white. IOW… divine reconciliation is NOT predicated on human response.

‘Human response’ comes from the resultant “realisation” where one gets an inkling of the grace of God that established such wondrous reconciliation and accordingly expresses one’s heart-felt gratitude to God for this.

Belief does NOT establish truth — truth however can establish belief! << read that again!Again, a pantelist understanding views “the reconciliation” as the established work of God, period. However… coming into the revelation OF reconciliation expressed by a faith response brings one into the realm of “eternal life” in accord with Jesus’ specific definition where eternal life is a coming into the knowledge of God and Christ, as per Jn 17:3. You will note such ‘eternal life’ has EVERYTHING to do with THIS LIFE here and now. This is the life Jesus saves us to. What lies beyond is not an issue.

Paul gives a good distinction between God’s established reconciliation AND THEN the salvation (eternal life) faith releases one into…

Christ’s death (crucifixion) wrought reconciliation for all, period; Christ’s life (resurrection) wrought salvation, i.e., eternal life to those grasping it. Salvation is about purpose not position it is about service to God in this life and NOT about getting to heaven in the next.