The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Free Willism or God's Soeveignty in Salvation of All

That’s the funniest post I’ve read on this site! :laughing:

Martin Zender offers some Scriptures that he sees as refuting free will:

martinzender.com/Zenderature … _creed.htm

Logic would suggest this could be a reasonable assumption… what have you concluded from this?

Zender makes the all too oft mistake, yourself included, of universalising what can be attributable and thus limited to certain specifics.

Denying free will is like denying the existence of humanity.

Humanity itself is founded on the ability to choose.

I know you were addressing someone else, but I will respond as if it were addressed to me.
Yes, there was a cause of my written response. I, myself, was the cause. You might claim that your statements were the cause. But that is not the case. I could have refrained from responding to your statements. And that is free will—the ability to choose between alternatives.

Re Q1, there are a multitude of possible variables re causes of behaviour in biblical deterministic theory, if one wants to break it down in detail.
More generally you have the will of man/will of the flesh, the workings of demonic or evil spirits, environmental influences, heredity, the presence of holy angels, the power and word of God, His Son, the Holy Spirit, etc.

Re Q2, this is a question for an Omnipotent Being & those He confides in who are, if any, on a need to know basis, not human beings. Though i
question that any of these would have any interest in such scientific data.

Re Q3/4 see Q2…Crooked [is] the heart above all things, And it [is] incurable – who doth know it? I Jehovah do search the heart,(Jer.17:9-10a)

More from Martin Zender on free will:

"Live as if It All Depends on You
Q: To what extent is our free will? God chooses us and gives us belief. Do we make any choices at all? When I used to wup my brother on the basketball court, was that talent and free will?

A: There is no such thing as free will. Nobody makes any decision at any time that is not ultimately dictated by God.

Now, forget I just said that and live your life. Live as if you have all the free will in the world. This is how God wants us to live. We are to live like we have control, but we are to believe the truth that we have no control. The two are not mutually exclusive. One is the relative perspective (our day-to-day life as we relate with other people and ourselves), and the other is the absolute perspective. The relative is not absolutely true. Only the absolute is absolutely true. And the absolute is: we have no free will in anything. Nothing. Zip.

The talent that caused you to wup your brother in basketball was a gift of God. Everything you have and do is a gift of God. God GAVE all these things to you, and He continues to give them. As Paul writes, “What do we have that we have not obtained?” You have not originated anything, but have merely obtained it. "

martinzender.com/QA.htm

1 Like

Coffees (pl) for me, thanks! Low fat milk, hold the sugar & extra caffeine. Cheers.

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, (Eph. 2:1)

Zombie, this verse refers to those who were living yet dead, i.e. the living dead, zombies ;

“living dead. living dead - Dictionary definition and meaning for word living dead. (noun) a dead body that has been brought back to life by a supernatural force. Synonyms : zombi , zombie.”

Yep that’s exactly what it is… a complete no-brainer!

And that is why free will is confined, IMO, to the temporal since the cross, being one who believes in actual redemption. When we leave this temporal body, I have a suspicion that every knee will bow and tongue confess.

I still like the ice cube and the sun :laughing:

Hi Paidion,
I would say denying will is like denying the existence of humanity.
We all have will. The Bible says so. However the bible never says it is free. It does say it is the will of the flesh.

Joh_1:13 who were begotten, not of bloods, neither of the will of the flesh, neither of the will of a man, but of God."
Eph_2:3 (among whom we also all behaved ourselves once in the lusts of our flesh, doing the will of the flesh and of the comprehension, and were, in our nature, children of indignation, even as the rest),

I don’t know if you see it or not but in John 1:13 it shows that no one can be begotten by the will of the flesh or will of man. So how is man free to will to be begotten by God?

Yes and what a travesty its choices have been. “All avoid Him.” “Together they were useless.” Why would all avoid Him? Because the Bible says the flesh is enmity to God and cannot please God. So the will of man is not free to please God and is not free to be friendly with God. God has to overwhelm our will with His will to change our will. Get it?

That is oversimplistic to state “I myself, was the cause.” The force to try to correct my idea was greater than your desire to just let it go. So there was a force which acted upon you which caused you to respond. Nothing is causeless. We often say to someone “You couldn’t just let it go, could you?!” Well, actually that is true due to the forces acting upon them.

Will is not an illusion. we see it every day. People have the illusion they are free. But we are not free from causality. Everyone chooses. The question is “Why?” Why does one person quit smoking while another continues and goes to the grave with cancer? Because the one who quit had a force bearing down on him to quit due to the threat of cancer while the other enjoyed smoking greater or was addicted greater than the threat of getting cancer. But in both cases the choice was not a free will choice.

2 Likes

Many believe that thoughts and feelings shape reality:

The Health and Prosperity movement (i.e.Joel Osteen)
Eastern thought
Christian Science and New Thought movement (i.e. Emmet Fox, Joel Goldsmith)
The visions of certain mystics - even Christian - like Tiffany snow
Positive thinking (i.e. Norman Vincent Peale)
Appeal to a particular saint
Scientific prayer
Etc

It’s easy to use the scientific method and test the waters for yourself. So no matter what the variables (heredity, environment) and how they determine my destiny, if I can influence (or bring into existence) - a particular outcome. Like:

A healing of particular disease
A financial healing
A child to a childless couple
etc

, I have an element of free will. Now we have to attribute all this, to the grace of God. But I am still making an effort - to invoke that grace.

Of course, after sharing this, if folks wish to believe they are helpless, subject to all kinds of deterministic variables, etc. without testing the waters for themselves - so be it. Rest assured, I will not stop you. :laughing:

Or Take my Protestant Christian mom - now deceased at 92.5 - having the lifelong gift of prophesy. She never “advertised”, “charged money”, nor “sold tickets”, but she was always right. And she told me as a Boy Scout teenager, to take an umbrella to a parade. None of the weather TV or radio services forecast rain. And I got ribbed by fellow scouts. Until there was a downpour, in the middle of the parade. And I was the only one - with an umbrella. No matter what the deterministic variables were, she saw the final outcome, and warned me about it. I believed her and took an umbrella (while not believing the scientific weather experts). How does her gift of prophesy, fit into a deterministic model? Was I avoiding determinism, by bringing an umbrella?

Suppose you asked God for wisdom, like he requests you do in scripture. And it develops into a full blown intuition, which is always right. Or you are born with the gift - like my mom was. If you follow it and avoid an unpleasantness outcome, is that circumventing determinism?

There are theologians and Christian philosophers, who use scripture to argue for both determinism and free will. It shows nothing, but the problems and issues in Sola Scriptura.

Here’s an interesting experiment in psychology at There’s No Such Thing as Free Will:

Let’s repeat the conclusions, of the experiments. Drum roll, please :exclamation: :laughing:

Demons are really difficult to control. You don’t control them. But you have more power over them then you realize, just by invoking the name of Christ. However, if a person is possessed, then it needs a full blown Catholic exorcism. But first, a psychiatrist must rule out mental illness and a general practitioner organic disease.

And who on this forum, will give the correct interpretation, understanding and Biblical exegesis ? You? Someone else? Or for that matter, who outside this forum (I.e. Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, some Protestant denomination, some TV evangelist, Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, etc.), will give the correct interpretation, understanding and Biblical exegesis?

Of course, I call myself a P-Zombie - rightly so. Anything that frees me, is due to the grace of God, the redemption of Christ, the help of the Holy Spirit, the intercessions of saints and holy angels, and faith. :slight_smile:

:question: :question: qaz… where have you read me saying that’s already happened :question: :question:

Then that proves that people are not free to not be less creative, less likely to conform, less willing to learn from their mistakes and less grateful toward one another who have been taught to believe free will is an illusion.

Since when did the Bible writers ever use philosophers to prove the truths of the Bible?

Let’s look at a definitive verse:

Gal 5:17 For the flesh is lusting against the spirit, yet the spirit against the flesh. Now these are opposing one another, lest you should be doing whatever you may want."

The above verse seems unassailable to me. The flesh is at enmity to God. The spirit is friends with God. Christians have the spirit and live in the flesh. We have this warfare going on in us between the flesh and spirit. We can’t really do what we want to do due to this. Either the spirit is going to win any given battle or the flesh is going to win any given battle. These forces are beyond our control and therefore we are not free.

Just because people use different sets of verses to defend their position of free will or non-free will does not prove either side one way or the other.
One needs to find definitive verses concerning the will of mankind.

One such verse is the one telling us the will of man is the will of the flesh and the other definitive verse tells us the flesh is at enmity to God and cannot please God. Therefore, combining these two definitive verses, we can arrive at the truth that the will of man is not free to be friendly toward God and is not free to please God.

Even God’s will is not free. God is defined as “love.” Therefore God’s will is dictated by love and cannot go against the dictates of love.

2 Likes

They are not philosophers. These are academic psychologists - with PhD degrees - conducting scientific experiments. Those in academic circles, other scientists and any member of the general public (i.e. forum members), are free to interpret the scientific findings, anyway they like. :smiley:

And back to what I previously said, in a prior post.

And who on this forum, will give the correct interpretation, understanding and Biblical exegesis ? You? Someone else? Or for that matter, who outside this forum (I.e. Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, some Protestant denomination, some TV evangelist, Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, etc.), will give the correct interpretation, understanding and Biblical exegesis?

Okay then, where in the Bible did any of the writers look to academic psychologists to prove or disprove the truths of the Bible?

Who will give the correct interpretation? If no one else will, I will. There, that settles that. :smiley:

I get the idea that you seem to think we can’t rely on the Scriptures for any given truth. Correct me if I am wrong in that summation.

The big picture, yes. Like Christ died for our sins, etc. But for other things:

Is Christ proesent in the water and wine?
Is infant Baptism necessary?
Should Christians drink wine?
Should we practice peace or enlist and fight?
Are we free or determined?
etc.

It depends on your take on science. If God gave us reason and we use it to develop scientific understanding, the first place we would hit a stumbling block, is Genesis and modern science. Should we dismiss all scientific findings? Should we forsake modern medicine and it’s healing capacities, because it’s not in the Bible? Luke saw all the healing miracles, of Paul and the apostles. But he never renounced, being a physician. :slight_smile:

We are a house divided. And no - I don’t put much stock, in you spin on things. No offensive met, by the way. :exclamation: :laughing:

See In Essentials Unity, In Non-Essentials Liberty, In All Things Charity

And here is the Protestant site Got Questions spin - with scriptural interpretation:

Do human beings truly have a free will?

And yes. If it boiled down to the **Got Questions ** spin and your spin, I’ll go with the Got Questions spin. :exclamation: :laughing: