The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The Hell Of C.S. Lewis

Jonny,

I find it hugely bizarre that you didn’t see the answer to your question in the passage. I’ve already dealt with this before so, I’m not going to keep going over it and over it, but here it is:

You seem to think that God is obligated to show grace to rebel sinners who don’t want to have anything to do with Him. This is bizarre. You know nothing about grace. Grace is unmerited favor and never owed to sinners. Hell is simply the just punishment of those who have been separated from God’s grace for eternity. Because they are separated from God’s grace (common and saving) they remain evil while in hell. Indeed, the longer one remains in hell the more hardened their heart becomes and thus, the more just God’s punishment of them is. Part of the justice of hell is God keeping evil’s harm and influence out of the new creation as God protects His children (the bride of Christ) from its destruction. The glory of God’s justice shines forever as He shows His tender love to His children. Moreover, this glory has been there since the beginning. God experiences all past, present, and future events as being “present” in His timeless eternal now. It’s this glory that God rejoices in. The glory of His beautiful mercy and justice. It’s not that He’s sadistic. For it’s not the suffering of those in hell in and of itself that God is glorified in. Rather, it’s His justice. God is eternal and therefore His justice must likewise be eternal. As the above passage states, all parts of His glory must shine forth so that His children may have a proper knowledge of Him. Thus, making their joy complete.

Stuff it, I’ll bite:

Yes, yes I do. God has created us with longings, pains, hurts, desires, weaknesses, even to the point where we don’t even function properly without him. As such God does have obligations towards us, obligations that outweigh our own obligations - for He’s the one who has created us unable to function without Him. So yes he is obligated to show us grace, if indeed you can call it an obligation - though this ‘obligation’ is not from a law external to Himself per se but is from His very own nature and being and is carried out with ultimate liberty, not from a sense of extrinsic duty.

I would advise you not to make such sweeping statements as “You know nothing about grace” when you haven’t got a clue what I think about grace.

Your second sentence here is made up of two points that do not follow on from each other. While I agree grace is unmerited favour and that we do not have to earn what God gives us, I also believe that God is obligated from His own being to give us this grace, especially through his own act of creation. By creating us, He has obligated Himself to us, and by creating us as only able to function with Him, He has obligated Himself to get us functioning perfectly according to His will, His will which is to share in His fellowship.

Clearly they’re not completely separated from God’s grace. After all, He’s keeping them in existence.

Eternal hell is just punishment is it? Why? Why is it necessary for justice to be fulfilled that sinners must suffer for all eternity? What does it do? What is the point? (Note: do not quote Romans 9 at me again here - it’s wider context is utterly irrelevant to the point you’re trying to make)

All glory to God for keeping and sustaining the victory of evil! Hallelujah!

Technically God’s punishment cannot become more just than it was before otherwise it was unjust in the first place. God is infinitely just yesterday, today and forever. He does not change in that regard.

Again I’ll ask; why is it necessary for justice that sinners must suffer for the sake of suffering? How does it deal with or correct sin? How does it destroy sin? How does it render everything just?

And no love at all to His enemies. All hail His tender love! Hallelujah!

Completely agree - but don’t be separating mercy from justice here. He is just to those who are saved and merciful to those who are being punished.

No joy for the others down there though. Mind you, who cares if they’re having a miserable time, God looks pretty damn powerful administering his justice up here. All hail his power! Hallelujah!

Because man is a fallen sinner grace is never owed. In fact grace is never owed to creation. For you cannot deserve to be created. But because of man’s demerit grace is especially never owed. I like your point about God keeping people in existence so it would be His saving grace that man is separated from in hell. When you sin God must punish for He is just. If you do the crime you do the time. God is glorified by His just punishment of evil as well as His gracious redeeming of evil. He is glorified by both and since He is eternal His infinite glory must shine forever. All parts not just one aspect. For His children’s joy consist in the knowledge of Him. And if His children’s knowledge of Him be imperfect then their happiness will likewise be imperfect. Thus, His justice shines forever making His grace all the more brighter. You can keep blaspheming this holy God all you want. But it would be wise to repent.

Cole, I’m not going to continue responding, you didn’t answer a single question of mine and I don’t think you’re going to either.

Don’t accuse me of blasphemy though - that’s a very loaded charge that you’ve just issued without cause and I’d suggest you actually think before accusing someone of that. I don’t take too kindly of being accused of it and you’re only accusing me of it because I disagree with you.

I wasn’t disagreeing with you because I hate God or hate you; it’s on the contrary. So don’t just respond by using the blasphemy card. It’s pretty unhelpful and not particularly nice either.

Whatever you say Jonny :unamused:

It’s only reasonable that those who are separated from God’s grace in hell become more hardened in their hearts as time goes on. They continually sin in hell and keep getting more punishment. Moreover, it also seems reasonable that the harder their hearts become the less they see and experience how horrible their punishment is. From the perspective of those in eternal bliss hell is quite horrible. But from the perspective of evil in hell it’s not so horrible. Part of the misery of hell is the sad fact that those who are in hell for awhile don’t realize how miserable their condition has become because they lose the capacity to appreciate genuine happiness after they are in hell for awhile.

Cole, ALL of this is conjecture. Not only is Hell ambiguous to begin with, but to add all this speculation on top of it is really over the top. There is a strong part of me that doesn’t think you believe this, or want to believe it, but are hoping we can refute it. I don’t know what to think in your case, but you do appear to be troubled by this. Whether I am correct or not regarding this, I think it is fair to say this conversation is over, isn’t it? You seem to have your mind made up and in all fairness, all of us have our minds made up on this particular issue… I am pretty sure I have heard every argument as to why it is just for God to torture people, or allow people to waste away with an eternal disease and I just am not buying it and you do… Can we really come to agreement? Probably not. We best agree to disagree on this matter. :slight_smile:

Gabe,

This isn’t about me but the truth of a holy God who justly punishes those whose are evil and who’s hearts have been hardened. Not speculation at all. But, I’ll let it go for now. :smiley:

The more I study scripture the more I think Annihilationism is true. It makes sense that all things being made new in heaven and earth as referring to the new heavens and earth. Humans outside the new creation in the eternal fire experience total destruction both body and soul. This is the second death. The eternal fire was created for Satan and his angels. They are supernatural beings and in a completely different category than humans. They will be tormented day and night forever and ever in the eternal fire. In this way the glory of God’s justice will shine forever. Destroying the wicked humans is an act of God’s mercy and punishment mixed. This is His severe mercy. Some experience God’s mercy as everlasting destruction others as everlasting life. All flesh will worship and confess Christ to the glory of the Father because the unbelieving humans in the Lake of Fire are dead. As it tells us in Isaiah the gates of the city are opened so that the redeemed can go out to look on the dead bodies.

The really good news for those who cling to this myth of an endless torturous fire chamber after death is that at least they’ll be able to talk to their loved ones who just didn’t make the grade as they writhe in perpetual pain just across the way… it says as much right here:

Believers won’t be able to pass over to aid their “evil” loved ones; but at least they themselves being in the very presence of the Lamb will be able to bid them best wishes, eternally… oh joy!! :smiling_imp:

Those in the “holding tank” in Hades are in torment before “The Lake Of Fire” (the second death) where God has mercy on those in the “Lake Of Fire” by annihilating them. God will have mercy on all. Those in the Lake Of Fire receive His severe form of mercy as they are destroyed forever. Those who are in eternal life receive His saving grace or mercy. Christ’s presence takes different forms.

As so it seems do the shifting sands of your arguments. :unamused:

I’m learning Davo. I noticed you didn’t deal with what I said though.

Those in hell remain unrepentant forever. Those in hell sin - God punishes - they sin - God punishes - they sin and the cycle goes on forever.

Where do you get this from Cole?

Steve,

I’ve changed my view. See above.

The more I study scripture the more I think Annihilationism is true. It makes sense that all things being made new in heaven and earth as referring to the new heavens and earth. Humans outside the new creation in the eternal fire experience total destruction both body and soul. This is the second death.

Annihilation may be true and UR may be true and some hybrid model may be true. What strikes me is that this “Lake of Fire” is in fact pictured as a Lake and a lake is something you can walk out of. The gates of New Jerusalem are open all the time which may be for folks in the LOF to walk through when they are able to. Lastly in Rev 22.17 , five verses from the end of the bible “the Bride and the Spirit” invite anyone to drink from the water of life. That may be an allusion to UR or something close to it.

The way I see it, you cannot force someone to love. So to say we must keep going through some refining fire until we finally come to see things God’s way, would be just that-forced. We must first choose to be with God, then let His Holy Spirit and His Word guide us. If you love someone set them free. If they come back to you, then it will be true love.

Well quite apart from “forced” it simply isn’t true… this notion of post-mortem refining through fire, supposedly “the lake of fire”, is TOTALLY reading theology back into the text of Scripture, i.e., eisegesis.

I think the bible speaks mostly about what is happening on Earth, and the spirits that are inside of our physical bodies. This is what we must focus on and for good reason, because no one on Earth knows what is going on in heaven until we get there. God doesn’t spend too much time talking about it because it would be like trying to explain calculus to a 3 year-old.

This thread has to have the record for sheer number of theological turnarounds for Cole so far… :confused:

No theologian is totally wise or correct. There never has been a single strand of thought on the fate of the damned in all of the history of the Church. Lewis was inconsistent as Jason pointed out. Paul was overwhelmingly universalist, and the only heresies he really got angry about were gnosticism because they hate the flesh and think Christ couldn’t be wholly God or wholly flesh, let alone both, and he got upset about people trying to impose THEIR legalistic interpretations on God’s grace.

Another patently obvious issue is that if God is only going to show mercy to those who repent, who has any hope at all? God could arbitrarily show no mercy to me, and thus i don’t repent, and thus i never get the mercy…so i’m damned into a Calvinistic vortex of hopeless doom. Well, sod that for a laugh…i think i’ll follow Jesus, the Lord of just mercy and triumphant love, who NEVER EVER gives up on a single being, and will not stop til this broken universe is healed. Not a single atom will remain unredeemed, and thus there CANNOT be any corner of the universe, no matter how small, where God is not found, therefore this “hell” Lewis couldn’t bring himself to disbelieve in will not exist anywhere, locked from the inside or not.

If Lewis is a “great teacher” or “thinker” etc, would it not be wise to follow his example? he saw MacDonald as his teacher…and MacDonald WAS wise enough to throw hell away. Lewis wanted to, but couldn’t overcome the doctrinal baggage. Maybe if he knew what we know now about the translations, and the Church fathers…maybe he wouldn’t come round. Well, he’s a universalist now, that’s all i can say!