The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Words Meaning "Chastisement" Not Used of the Impenitent

Well its a darn good thing I’m not merely arguing for the sake of arguing and its a darned good thing I’m not ignoring the context. Yet again you scream “out of context!” to continue bolstering a patchwork theology bent on ensuring the torture and damnation of the vast multitudes, except yourself.

Oh! So you’re going to translate “angels” as pastors? I just thought I’d point out the irony there, of you telling us to appeal to this, and that, to ensure that our understanding is plain-text in this or that, and then you turn around and call the angels of the seven churches pastors. Don’t tell us to stick to context, or stick to anything if you’re going to turn around and play the game yourself. That is hypocrisy.

And secondly, Jesus said “all that I love” and that means “all that I love”, there is no special appeal to context here that necessitates that Jesus is talking exclusively about or to the Laodecians. When he tells the Laodecians that he rebukes and chastens all that he loves, that is everyone, absolutely thoroughly everyone including the Laodecians.

Your challenge has been answered. And your only response is the scream, as per usual, “out of context!”.

And also, as Allan has asked you, drop the emotes and winks. I have grown weary of them, and I have certainly grown weary of your vast multitudes of other condescending behaviours towards me and towards others on this site.

Revelation 14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb

Now you cant get any plainer and clearer then that.

As for 2 Thess 1:8-9. In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power.

This isn’t saying that there is eternal separation from the Lord, its saying that they will be tormented from the presence of the Lord. Its like saying… my eyes hurt from the presence of the bright summer sun. Does that mean i am away from the sun? No. It means i am in the presence of the summer sun that my eyes are hurting from. The sun is causing that hurt because i am in the presence of it. Not away from it. Therefore making Rev 14:10 correct. Otherwise they would contradict.

Rev 14:10 happens after the day of the Lord, Caroleem. In other words, after the tribulation, after the rapture and before the millennial reign. This is not the LOF nor is it hell. :wink:

I’m ending this convo, God bless. :smiley:

As needs must…

It seems to me, that with you, everything is “anything but” if it isn’t doesn’t imply the ceaseless, endless, increasingly God forsaken vindictively inflicted violence and torture of the vast multitudes.

:open_mouth: Of course its the LOF. All of the references of fire and brimstone in Rev is referring to the LOF which is the presence of God.

Revelation 19:20, “And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.”

Rev. 20:10, “And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.”

Rev. 20:14-15, “And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”

Rev. 21:8, “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”

Rev. 2:11, “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.”

Rev. 20:6, “Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.”

Rev. 14:10, “…and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb.”

All the LOF.

What do you suggest it is then? Its obviously the LOF.

Caroleem,

Rev 14:10 is not the lake of fire. It is the wrath of God happening on earth during all the plagues, bowls, etc before the millennial reign.

Of course I’m speaking for myself. I have no special line to God. Do you? All I can do is try to discern his Spirit.

The author tells his readers their sins are forgiven, they can have confidence, they have a faithful priest, they can draw near to God. He tells them to do good deeds and spur one another on, to meet regularly. In Paul’s terminology, he exhorts them to crucify the old man and put on the new. But what of Christians who continue to sin deliberately? If those who disobeyed Moses were killed without mercy, how much more severely will Christians who desecrate the blood of Christ be punished. Punished without mercy.

I regret to say I continue to sin deliberately. Don’t you? To pretend otherwise would be a (deliberate) lie. Yet there is also something in me that is deeply unhappy with this situation. “The good I want to do, I don’t do…O wretched man that I am.” Does that mean I have nothing to look forward to but God’s wrath? Yes and no. The old man will be punished (timoria) without mercy and utterly destroyed. The new man will be saved and set free, as through the fire. “Who shall deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord.”

The sinner, that which is sinful in me, will be utterly destroyed. It will be painful. We are called to follow Christ, and he was nailed to a cross. It is truly a fearful thing to fall into God’s hands, but where else would you want to be? His hands are there to catch you, to hold you, to scrub you clean, to heal you and to embrace you.

Its all the same thing. It’s ALL the LOF via the presence of the Lord whether it is before or after the millennial reign. Do you really think the Lord at His coming will be in the air throwing down literal fire and brimstone (sulfer)? Do you really think He would need to? His presence would be stronger then ANY physical fire and brimstone could ever provide. It will be like Dracula when he sees daylight. The presence of the Lord will be unbearable to those who worshiped the beast. The presence of the Lord will be unbearable for anyone who is still in sin. It will be tormenting to them. The LOF is not a literal lake of fire like a volcano or anything. It is when sinful people are faced with the presence of the Lord does it become the dreaded LOF. Once again, it is NOT literal fire.

Rev 14:10-The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

Its not all the same thing, Caroleem. :confused: People don’t experience the LOF until final individual judgment in Rev 20:10-15. This is the second death or eternal death!

The death of that which is sinful in a man, the death of that in the man which is apart from God! It is not the death of the thing that God created “and it was good”. God will not destroy the silver in destroying the dross. God will not waste the grain in burning away its chaff.

Boy aren’t we going to have a rude awakening at the judgment seat.

I want you to elaborate on that. Tell me exactly what you mean. Bare forth your thoughts and get rid of the veiling.

There will be no refining, no correction, just an individual judgment that will determine your eternal destiny. This will be a rude awakening to you and your views of the LOF.

Elaborate further. I want you to tell me absolutely everything I will experience in my rude awakening. Everything…don’t skip out on any details, be as detailed as possible. I want you to hold nothing back. Everything…and I mean everything.

Are you ok, Lefein? There is nothing more to tell. Whether or not you are found recorded in the BOL is up to you, buddy. That determines your eternal destiny.

I said tell me everything. Describe in detail my rude awakening. I said describe it in detail. Tell me everything entailed by that rude awakening.

“In Adam, all die. In Christ, all shall be made alive.”

There’s a dark and evil shadow in me that thinks the gospel is foolishness. It suspects God of ill intent. It’s driven by fear, not by love and trust. Let’s call this ugly old man Adam. Adam does not and cannot comprehend the truth because truth is spiritually discerned. Adam will never choose God, nor will God choose Adam. Rather, the wrath of God abides on him and vows to punish and destroy him. Adam is deathly. His end will be eternal destruction in the Lake of Fire.

But that’s not all I am. There is something bright and good in me that is born of God, made in his image, that delights in the truth and rejoices in beauty, that loves to love, that cannot sin. Let’s call this part Christ. God chooses Christ, calls him his beloved son, loves him and vows to save him from death. ie From Adam. Christ is life and sits at the right hand of God.

Truly, God loves Jacob (Christ) but hates Esau (Adam). God has mercy on whom he has mercy.

It’s up to me, buddy? No it’s not. All depends on the will of the Father. “It does not, therefore, depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.”

I’ll say this v e r y s l o w l y I brought it up directly from something YOU said in this very thread - so stop being cute.

And the passage from Ezekiel quoted by Caroleem IS the one I was referencing.

How does that verse when left in context have anything to do with my OP?